Possible Parasite Issue with New Severum?

HumuhumuFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2021
The realty I see here goes way beyond simple aggression.

Water parameters are at the opposite ends of the spectrum for each species, so trying to keep them in the same tank, if the tank water perimeters lean one way or the other, diseases should be expected.

Some people believe that a number of generations in aquariums can negate these problems, but.......
water permitters tolerances have evolved over millions of years, so believing even 100 years of living in aquariums would change evolution is quite short sighted.
As a starting point, I want to thank you for taking the time to put that together and to make 100% clear that I appreciate where you are coming from, and that is in the interest of providing fish with a good life. Too often in this hobby fish are seen as disposable, and not as real pets, but that is a topic for a different day.

Respectfully, I disagree with your assertion that people's beliefs about adaptability of tank raised fish to varying water conditions is "short sighted". There are certainly exceptions. Discus, rams, etc. that not only benefit from but require specific pH and hardness characteristics. No argument there, you (and more importantly your fish) are going to have a rough go if you try to keep discus in hard, basic water like I have here in upstate NY.

Other fish, to include severums and JDs, have proven much more adaptable. The oldest cichlid fossils are around 45 million years old, yes, but cichlids have proven adaptable not only on the geological time scale but also anthropogenic time scale. There are wild colonies of hobby cichlids from Hawaii to Florida, anywhere that's warm enough. I'd hazard to guess that mechanism for this rapid adaptability is selective breeding. We created a variety of conditions at commercial fish farm and in hobbyists' tanks over the last 40 plus years. That would have selected for fish that are more adaptable to different water conditions. Selective breeding is how we turned the basic dog into such a variety of breeds in only a few thousand years. It's a powerful force.

In my experience, for most fish in the pet trade, stable water conditions produces better results than chasing specific numbers. I respectfully disagree with the assertion that all fish require biotope setups matched to their native waters to thrive, which is the logical conclusion of what you are suggesting.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I respectfully disagree with the assertion that all fish require biotope setups matched to their native waters to thrive, which is the logical conclusion of what you are suggesting.
+1
That and there are a lot of misconceptions about native water conditions for some species. Yes, there are black water restricted species, but how many Amazonian species encounter higher pH over their range in the wild than most people presume?

Definitive guide to Discus: part one - Practical Fishkeeping
The Brown or Blue Discus... is only found in clear water habitats, sometimes mixed with white water of pH ranging from 6.0-7.8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store