Prepping for disaster : Car battery, 12v Pump and 12v Charger

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Connect pump and charger to battery, pump will be running on the grid while there is power and once there is a power interruption, the pump will use the battery.

Is this a good idea?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
12 volt pumps are quite expensive, and energy inefficient, compared to 120 volt AC pumps.

However a small 300 watt inverter connected o a battery, is do able, with purpose built relays, or diy with a 12 volt fuel cutoff solenoid connected to a 3 way toggle switch.
The solenoid powered with a small dc transformer on house current. If the power goes out, the magnet in the solenoid is de energized, a spring then releases, and the plunger Trips the 3 way toggle switch, to battery.
A small 2 watt solar panel would keep the battery full. Or a small wall charger, 100 millivolts

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Posting in order to follow the thread. I am not sure exactly what sort of controller you will need for this to be automatic. Perhaps something similar to those used with standby generators?

For keeping the battery charged up I use a "float charger" on my deep cycle marine battery. These type chargers sense when a battery is fully charged and stop charging. When the battery charge drops a bit they turn back on and top off the charge. You can leave them on and connected to the battery all the time.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I personally use the manual override method. I have batteries, inverters, extension cords. A fully oxygenated aquarium is going to last 8 hours at least, heavily stocked.
My main problem is heating, with out power, a car battery will not last very long powering a 300 watt heater.
So my back up involves, using two 4000 watt inverters, powered by a diesel truck, with a high output alternator.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I just use a generator can't beat it. Don't know if you have room for one but it's a wise investment. I can run my 220, 125, 55 and 20H with it. Also sump pump or refrigerator if needed. Just had to use it this weekend.
20171105_111526.jpg

Reactions: badassissimo

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Connect pump and charger to battery, pump will be running on the grid while there is power and once there is a power interruption, the pump will use the battery.

Is this a good idea?
I use the "Wait for power to come back" method. But if I was going to set up a backup I'd get a true sine wave UPS and just run my filters on it. It has to be a sine wave because the square wave less expensive ones use doesn't work well with most pumps.

Most only use something like 7 or 15 amp hour SLA batteries, but you can connect them to a deep cycle or car battery. You can build something similar for cheaper, but this way it's closer to an all in one package.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store