Question on Coralife UV install

calcnerd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
www.facebook.com
I picked up a Coralife Turbo Twist today (the small one for my 50 gallon tank).

I've read through the instructions & am still unclear on how to hook it into my canister filter's intake. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Here's the link to the instructions:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/uvsterilizer_files/CoralifeTurboTwist.pdf

Thanks in advance.

calcnerd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
www.facebook.com
Hmm...I think I might have got it figured out. I basically need to get some extra tubing & just splice the sterlizer between the intake tube & the canister, correct? So I'll have my existing intake coming out of the tank, the UV sterilizer & then the canister?

Thanks

DarthMaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
UTAH
Hook up the uv sterilizer after the filter on the discharge side of your canister. Most of the install instructions say to do this. It will keep down on the cleaning of the cleaning of the sterilizer chamber on it. I will post some pix of mine

DarthMaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
UTAH
I just got some more hose and barbed pvc fittings and some hose clamps from home depot. ( There in the sprinkler section). I did not want to hang this on the back of my tank because i you can see some light shining thru the unit to see if the bulb is still good. So i Put it in the cabinet. Hope this helps...

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
Hook up the uv sterilizer after the filter on the discharge side of your canister

Makes much more sense this way.
Que No?
The only change I would suggest is to have the UV in a valve controlled loop in the return line.
Full flow from the canister would limit the efectiveness of the UV.

calcnerd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
www.facebook.com
DarthMaul;4181572; said:
I just got some more hose and barbed pvc fittings and some hose clamps from home depot. ( There in the sprinkler section). I did not want to hang this on the back of my tank because i you can see some light shining thru the unit to see if the bulb is still good. So i Put it in the cabinet. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the pic. This helps. I'm gonna stop & pick up some hosing tomorrow & mount mine inside my stand as well.

DarthMaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
UTAH
KaiserSousay;4182054; said:
Hook up the uv sterilizer after the filter on the discharge side of your canister

Makes much more sense this way.
Que No?
The only change I would suggest is to have the UV in a valve controlled loop in the return line.
Full flow from the canister would limit the efectiveness of the UV.
My UV sterilizer is rated to run up to 700 gph through the unit. My canaster filter is rated at 350 gph. So in theory my uv sterilizer should be working right.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
You have a 9 watt UV, according to the PDF.
At 9 watts, in order to "kill-em-all", a flow of 90gph or lower is needed.
You could probably double that just to kill off free floating algae.
I think the flow ratings are for the UV housing, not for effective use of the UV.
That is why I suggested the controlled loop from your canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store