Rainbow snakehead information

Vaskov

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Hello all.
I'm looking at potentially setting up a tank for these fish and wanted some information.

What size tank would be considered the minimum for a rainbow snakehead? How are these fish to keep do they hide alot or do you get to see their colors and behaviour? I have heard they jump and to try deter this floating plants and a dropped water level help, how strong are they when jumping would a towel over the lid hold it down enough?

I'm in the UK with the plan of setting the tank st 18c during the winter and 22 in summer is that ok?

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all.
I'm looking at potentially setting up a tank for these fish and wanted some information.

What size tank would be considered the minimum for a rainbow snakehead? How are these fish to keep do they hide alot or do you get to see their colors and behaviour? I have heard they jump and to try deter this floating plants and a dropped water level help, how strong are they when jumping would a towel over the lid hold it down enough?

I'm in the UK with the plan of setting the tank st 18c during the winter and 22 in summer is that ok?

Thanks
headbanger_jib headbanger_jib

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
Hello all.

Thanks
I realize I'm not a professional with snakeheads as they are illegal in the United States, but I have caught Asian Snakeheads in Florida and brought them home to take care of. If something I say is wrong, I'm leaving links to websites that will answer your questions more in depth and accurately.

⇔The Rainbow Snake head can be anywhere between 16-28 cm ( 7.9") long. You'd probably want ,at minimum, a 55 gallon+ tank.

⇔The rainbow snakehead is not a very active fish, as they are ambush predators. Probably best to keep it by itself, as I raised a Asian from 9" and it killed every fish I put in the tank, even fish larger than itself. You will probably see it swimming around, though.

⇔Snakeheads are powerful fish. A towel over the lid wont do crap. You'll need a clamped down lid or a cylinder block on top of it.

⇔You'll need a heater in the tank. Probably shouldn't let the temperature get very low, especially if it's in an outside tank.
If it's inside, you'll probably still need a heater.
Here's some websites that are helpful↓
UK Rainbow Snakehead
Rainbow Snakehead Info

Hope this helps!

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
Just realized I forgot to mention the water temperature in my last point. I apologize.
The water needs to be between 10-28 c.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store