Rainbow snakehead tankmates and care?

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
What could I keep witha rainbow snakehead in a 60 uk gal (70 us gal) tropicak fishtank?Preferably big(er) fish.I also LOVE eel like fish such as spiny eels, gobies and snake heads!Also any care on rainbow snakeheads would be very helpful!:nilly::ROFL::nilly:

gigas12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Boston,Ma.
Hi, you can try ,but I would place other rainbow snakeheads instead of mixing species which have different requirements.

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
first things first , rainbows are not tropical fish and if kept at tropical year round will be more than likley subject to bacterial infection, so please bare this in mind. the perfect tankmates are more rainbows , but if you can not keep them in a species tank then choose tankmates that will not bully the snakeheads i.e. no aggresive cichlids ect. try and choose other sub-tropical fish , i belive some of the spiny eels are also found in the same area as rainbows , and as long as the species does not grow too big would be ok. blue acara and black acara are sub-tropical and not too aggresive , some of the larger paridise fish are also sub-tropical along with some gouramis ect , any fish that is much bigger than the snakehead or more aggresive will stress the snakehead and result in not eating.

for more info on rainbows http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124841 bottom of page , or http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75290 second post down .

if you have not allready bought the rainbow and are looking to keep a tropical tank there are far better suited snakeheads

cheers col

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
Well i'm setting up a 60 gal tank in February and I don't know what to keep yet.I really like the look of the Rainbow Snakehead but I have been finding it hard to find any sutible tanks mates for it on the internet because there aren't many sites on sub-tropical fish like this.What can be kept with it or even 2 of them in a 60 gal (70 us gals) tank?

Thanks,

Eoin

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I keep mine with Chaca chaca cats...

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
the reason you find it hard to find sights that premote sub-tropical fish is because it is a relative poor area of most people , most people just assume that any fish bought from the lfs is either tropical or cold water , they do not even think some of them are actually sub-tropical or temperate species, this is not helped by the shops who do not know either . unfortunatly things will most likely stay this way as most temperate and sub-tropical species will tolerate tropical temps year round , so no one is any the wiser , however snakeheads are no normal fish , any suffer really bad without a period of cooling over winter , so really they are best kept on the own in a small group in a species tank , as rainbows are peacefull you could mix in a comunity tank as long as those fish have the same requirments of water temp , to find this out you need to studdy native fish from sub-tropical india burma and the hymalaya mountain range and set up a type of bio-tope setting for them.

if you want to make life easier for your self but still want a snakehead , then choose a tropical species such as bankanensis , or a tropical varient of gachua , however i would still recomend you allways keep a snakehead in a species tank , as in the long run it rarley works out

cheers col

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Hi i keep a weather loach with my rainbows it does a brilliant job of eating the waste and is not at all aggresive and is happy with the lower temps :)

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
What temp i mid-tropical??? I;ve read that it is 22-28 degrees? what would you say it is?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store