Razorback musk turtle

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
How are these guys with rays? I have a 400 gallon with one bigger ray 4 peacocks and a silver arowana and moray tiger, wanted to get a musk but looking for opinions on this

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Never personally had a problem keeping my musk turtle in a6x2x2 with a real eclectic mix of fish, from barbs, to jewel cichlids, Senegal Bichir, yo-yo loach , bristlenose and numerous other cat types. He gets his share of the takings and leaves others be. Probably gets pecked at as much as he pecks at them but never does any harm.
I do however have a good size rockwork and bogwood to allow him out of the water, and even have a reptile light at that point.
That would be my main concern, how you would have that rockwork to allow him out of water in a ray tank.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Never personally had a problem keeping my musk turtle in a6x2x2 with a real eclectic mix of fish, from barbs, to jewel cichlids, Senegal Bichir, yo-yo loach , bristlenose and numerous other cat types. He gets his share of the takings and leaves others be. Probably gets pecked at as much as he pecks at them but never does any harm.
I do however have a good size rockwork and bogwood to allow him out of the water, and even have a reptile light at that point.
That would be my main concern, how you would have that rockwork to allow him out of water in a ray tank.
See that's what i thought but my buddy had a 500 gallon rays as well with his razorback and he's Been fully underwater for 6 years with a normal fluval 3.0 plant light and is thriving lol

Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My avatar (Common Stinkpot Musk) has been co-habitating with various fish both small and large for at least 8 years. He has never bothered or killed any, although he will eat dead fish if I provide them. Incidentally, he has lost his basking privileges after never using them for the first half-dozen years of his life, but he still has a reptile light set up over one end of his tank, where he often relaxes at the surface in floating plants.

But, even with years of completely satisfactory experience keeping him with fish, I personally would still avoid mixing him with particularly expensive or otherwise highly-valued fish. I've never had rays, but they're just the sort that I would not keep with him. I can see even my guy wandering across the bottom and coming across the interesting temptation of a ray's eye, or perhaps the edge of the disc, and taking an exploratory nibble. I can even more easily envision him causing scratches and other damage with his claws, especially when he rockets across the bottom thinking that he's about to be fed. And with rays I would worry about the added layer of drama when one of them is on the receiving end of such unwanted attention and retaliates with a tail stinger.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store