red bay snook cichlids...??

badgers034

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
chicago, IL
has anyone had any past experiences with red bay snook cichlids?? can you tell me about their temperament?? szes?? pictures?? did they eat any fish?? what did you keep them with?? and any pictures are appreciated. i would like to buy a few and grow them out and keep a female for my 125 stocked with :

1 Oscar
2 JDs
1 FM
2 Geophagus Jurupari
1 Severum
1 Synodontis
1 Leopard Sailfin Pleco

tell me if you think this would work.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can find tons of info and pics by googling Petenia splendida. These large (up to 19") cichlids are peaceful toward other tankmates (so long as they don't fit in their huge mouths)

petenia.jpg

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Yeah, top that off with the fact that they have one of the largest mouths for CA cichlids and choosing tank mates can be challenging. They are like severums with HUGE mouths. Best tankmates are not too horribly aggressive cichlids, and deep bodied fish. Larger growing fish are a must. Keepin them with anything below 6" is a big risk. Awesome fish and I wish i had taken more pictures of Oddballs while i was there! lol

polomax24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2005
Los Angeles
A very colorful cichlid if proper care is given. From my experience, the fish is fairly aggressive. It can defend itself against more robust cichlids. Mine pretty much eats everything from pellets to krills. It is a very fast grower and it grows about 1" per month when young.

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
Prob one of my fav fish, its pretty, can hold its own with bigger meaner fish, it also was the only fish in my tank to compeat with my pike for shear glutony.

katycichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
houston, texas
I've got four of them. They are probably in the 7-8" range. I think they would work with your group of fish. I love the coloration of the fish especially the blotching on the side. I have seen some locally that are incredible at pushing 20". Mine eat pellets, krill, bloodworms, flakes, etc. The inclusion of krill and bloodworms really make a difference on coloration. They get to the food faster than anything else in the tank. The males have more intense coloration in the upper face and the body just below the dorsal. A LFS has bred them and commented that the young are unbelievably small (thread-like). Sometimes you can get lucky on trades--saw a male yesterday at a LFS at around 11"--very nice. The temperment of the fish is not bad with tankmates...they will run at each other in a group environment. Some of those fish you have, if they have size, are going to make it tough for the snook to spawn.

badgers034

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
chicago, IL
ok, well most of you guys are giving me the green light. most of my fish are juvies (anywhere from 2-3 inches) i hope to get the red bay snook at about 1 inch. that would be great. plus, the ACA is about 2 and a half weeks away, so the fish have time to grow. the only fish i am worried about is my FM, because if it is a female, then it will mostlikely become a feeder for the snook. As, petefromtassie said, i am sure they are fun to give feeders to :goldfish: !! and i want to hand-feed it, so that when it gets older i am handfeeding this 18-20 inch BEAST!!! i bet that would be awesome.:woot: well any more feedback would be great. and keep the replies coming.

badgers034

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
chicago, IL
yea, i kno. well, i will take what i can get. well, not necessarily 1", just as small as i can find one. what i meant to say was that i want a juvie, and the smaller the better, so i can watch it gro up to nbe a beast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store