Red Devil info

Stpeteed

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2021
I have a year old Red Devil & want to know when he will develop his hump? He's about 4inches right now.
He was my first cichlid. I also have a 5 inch Bumblebee.
My 1st time here... It was my #quarantineHobby now I'm hooked
Thanks for the info. Stpeteed

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
I have a year old Red Devil & want to know when he will develop his hump? He's about 4inches right now.
What size tank do you have, what size did you buy it at, has the fish been vented because it may be a female- (I saw a 13 inch female that was mean as all get out and even had a small hump). And what are you feeding it ? Also between the two cichlids who is the current dominate fish ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Considering that red devils are actually mixed between Midas and Red devil (unless you purchased a proven A. labiatus from an importer or can trace its lineage), it may not develop a significant hump. Here's a proven red devil (courtesy of Jeff Rapps TUIC) with a hump

There's other pictures online that show midevils (which is labelled as red devil) with much bigger humps.

Stpeteed

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2021
What size tank do you have, what size did you buy it at, has the fish been vented because it may be a female- (I saw a 13 inch female that was mean as all get out and even had a small hump). And what are you feeding it ? Also between the two cichlids who is the current dominate fish ?
its in a 29 gal for now. he was only an inch long when i bought him. i feed him cichlid gold & tubiflex worms & anything hell eat.
the bumblebee is in a different tank, they fought too much., never had either vented.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
its in a 29 gal for now. he was only an inch long when i bought him. i feed him cichlid gold & tubiflex worms & anything hell eat.
the bumblebee is in a different tank, they fought too much., never had either vented.
If you've kept that inch long red devil in a 29 for a year, then you've probably stunted it quite a while. I suggest you get atleast a 75 gallon tank for the guy.
Had it been in a 75 he'd probably be about 6" Now.
BTW how big is the bumblebee? And what's the tank size?

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
As the other guy stated a larger tank will lead to more growth and subsequently a larger hump. To give you a more direct answer though, it all comes down to genetics.. be patient give it plenty of room, high quality food and I’m sure you will be pleased ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store