Red Snook Question

charjump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
georgia
Hey all. Was just wondering if I could possibly get a red snook. At the Petsmart here they have two red snooks that are 3" for 30 bucks. Just wondered if they could be kept with SA cichlids such as JDs and Jags. Also, what types of food are good to feed and how large of a tank is needed? Much appreciated.

Tacklethedovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2006
Virginia
I haven't had any experience with red snook, but I too have seen them for sale at a few PetsMart stores. I saw three red snook last week. They had 2 little guys about 2.5 - 3 inches and they had a large one (about 8 inches) hanging in the tank as well. The large one was a really beautiful fish. I would have loved to pick it up, but I have hit my current limit now with all my fish and tank space. He looked pretty timid, hiding under the driftwood piece they had in the tank. I am sure that someone turned in their red snook when it got too big for their 20 gallon tank. I'm not sure if I would put a red snook in with an equal-sized jag.

Good luck with the red snook if you pick one up.

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
red snooks can be kept with other SA cichlids. but they are not as aggressive as most. so they benefit from being "bigger" than the other tank mates. they get very big, and they are fairly opportunisitc feeders. meaning, if it fits, it will get eaten.

musichead707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2005
CHICAGOLAND
I have kept alot of red snooks and they are the kind of fish that wont bother anything, but if something bothers them, they can do some damage. I currently have a pair in with a 12" jag and they are all fine together. If you can get the fish they are truly amazing, the coolest thing about them is their mouths, their are so HUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
they'll get to around 18" or so and have very large mouths as has already been said. so, they should be fine with about anything that is not overly aggressive and that won't fit in their mouth. :) you will need a very large tank (min. 180 imo) to keep them to adulthood. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store