red tail barracuda info?

matt campbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2008
rason
i just got a 3 or 4 inch red tail barracuda and iwas just trying to get some info and care tips for him. also would he pick on my baby rtc? and whats the max size these barracudas get? thanks, Matt.

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I would post a picture of the barracuda, for an accurate ID and accurate advice. Stores are selling Brycons as Red Tail Barracudas, and these fish get 12-15". If this is the fish, he could very well bother the RTC if it tries to swim in the middle/upper levels. The rest of the Redtail barracudas though shouldn't bother it if it is larger than their head and thicker than them.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I agree your cuda is in no shape to be with catfish. I lost a yellow tail to a gar with eyes bigger than its tummy. The silver flash a cuda leaves is just too much for some predators to take.

matt campbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2008
rason
J.Lake;4978098; said:
I agree your cuda is in no shape to be with catfish. I lost a yellow tail to a gar with eyes bigger than its tummy. The silver flash a cuda leaves is just too much for some predators to take.
well my rtc isfar to small to eat the cuda. im more worried about the cuda nipping the rtc fins. but as of now no nipped fins!

Wackamole

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Charles Town Wv
dont worry guys its only a ten gallon tank

underboss8

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
city of god
matt campbell;4978276; said:
well my rtc isfar to small to eat the cuda. im more worried about the cuda nipping the rtc fins. but as of now no nipped fins!
if it can fit the cudas head into its mouth, its not to small bro. trust me u would be suprised at the catfish, if not now then in the very near future he will try that cuda.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I've not seen any Red tail (A.Falcutus) Cudas grow much larger than 8" however the space they require to survive is much larger than than an 8" Cichlid or Catfish. I really hope that the "it's in a ten gallon tank" was a joke because if it is not the joke will be on you - it will die. As for RTC's - they are true predatory fish aswell however they grow much faster and can easily eat their own body weight if not more. They grow rather quickly and get absolutely enormous. Their is no Cuda species on this planet they couldn't eat. Bad choice of tankmate - 5' RTC @ Baltimore Aquarium an absolute beast.

100_3302.JPG

Reactions: Rudy bradley

matt campbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2008
rason
Wackamole;4978709; said:
dont worry guys its only a ten gallon tank
dont lissten to this silly guy. he cant tell a gold fish from a arapaima.

Wackamole

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Charles Town Wv
matt campbell;4979283; said:
dont lissten to this silly guy. he cant tell a gold fish from a arapaima.
it wasnt a joke- this guy has a 2 foot gar in a 40 gallon breeder. EEK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store