Rimless 10/20 Gallon Nano tank with Eurobrace Safe?

Glfish88

Feeder Fish
Aug 25, 2016
I have a 10 and 20 Gallon tank sitting around in my garage and I've always wondered if I could rip the cheap black rim off (it looks really bad IMO) and Eurobrace it with some spare acyrlic so it looks rimless, I've considered just not bracing it at all. I've seen other people have some success with just not bracing it at all but I don't want to risk having 20 gallons on the floor one day. So does Eurobracing a tank without the cheap black rim help the tank not bow or crack?

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
Acrylic should not be used because it will absorb moisture and experience deflection over time. Glass is the best choice to eurobrace in this case.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Also, it is difficult to adhere acrylic to glass. It is ok to silicone acyrlic or plastic inside a tank (for compartments for a sump), but I would not do it on something structural.

Now I have no idea if it is safe or not to remove the black rim on the tank.

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
Now I have no idea if it is safe or not to remove the black rim on the tank.
If the eurobrace is completed properly, it will safely replace the black trim on the tank.

I think it might look a little off if there is black trim on the bottom and eurobraced at the top. However, if that is the desired appearance, it will be safe.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
If the eurobrace is completed properly, it will safely replace the black trim on the tank.

I think it might look a little off if there is black trim on the bottom and eurobraced at the top. However, if that is the desired appearance, it will be safe.
Oh I agree, with eurobracing he will be fine.
I meant, no trim, no eurobracing, just rimless.. It might be ok, especially on a 10 gallon, but I would not risk it.

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Rimless not euro braced 20 gallon tanks are made with 1/4" glass so just check the glass thickness and you will have your answer to if you can do Rimless or not

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
I didn't think of rimless portion paulW.

Have you thought about buying some cell cast scraps from a plastic vendor? I get scraps all of the time here for a good price. Someone else would want to verify, but I think half inch thickness would work for your build.

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Do not use acrylic to euro brace. If you are euro bracing still use glass

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
I didn't think of rimless portion paulW.

Have you thought about buying some cell cast scraps from a plastic vendor? I get scraps all of the time here for a good price. Someone else would want to verify, but I think half inch thickness would work for your build.
I left out the main idea of my last comment. It would be easy to build a new rimless aquarium of that size if you are familiar with acrylic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store