RIP - Shaka the 17yr old Rhom

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
After 17 years my rhom has passed away. I bought him the summer of my high school graduation with my twin brother and together we have kept him over all these years. It is hard to imagine getting very emotional over a fish, but anytime you spend such a long time taking of a pet it is hard not to. He really had an amazing personality and I will miss him. I am undecided of whether I will be exiting this hobby or taking a dive another fish as he was the only fish I kept for the last 12 years since I sold off all the other piranhas before graduating college. Next I need to figure out what to do with him. He is currently in my freezer and I think I will bury him at my parents where his first home was. I can't bare to put him in the garbage.

Here is the final pic I took of him measured and a link to the thread outlining the story of all the moves I put the guy through.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/meet-shaka.537737/

Shaka RIP.JPG

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Hate to hear that Shaka died, although he did live a long life.

I wish my parents were that involved in the hobby with me. Just today my Dad said "This is all I see when I look at the tank: I can eat these fish and I can't eat those."

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Sorry for your loss. Personally I would have Shaka mounted for memories .
I don't know how to do that. Trying to research places in NJ but cant find anything. Any suggestions on what to look for is welcomed.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I don't know how to do that. Trying to research places in NJ but cant find anything. Any suggestions on what to look for is welcomed.
I would do the same to a fish like that. Maybe someone here may know how to taxidermy Shaka. If not and you're up for a ride I'm sure there has to be a place that can do it within 1.5-2 hours of you.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
sorry for the loss, :(

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Sorry to hear bud...... if i were you i would get a bunch of meal worlms and put him in a tub with them let them eat off all the flesh and keep the skeleton.......after having a fish that long i wouldnt want to bury or dispose of him

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I hope you find something worth continuing in the hobby for. I find it very humbling that you were able to keep him as a long term solo fish without seeking to go deeper. Rip shaka, a beast by all rights

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
After 17 years my rhom has passed away. I bought him the summer of my high school graduation with my twin brother and together we have kept him over all these years. It is hard to imagine getting very emotional over a fish, but anytime you spend such a long time taking of a pet it is hard not to. He really had an amazing personality and I will miss him. I am undecided of whether I will be exiting this hobby or taking a dive another fish as he was the only fish I kept for the last 12 years since I sold off all the other piranhas before graduating college. Next I need to figure out what to do with him. He is currently in my freezer and I think I will bury him at my parents where his first home was. I can't bare to put him in the garbage.

Here is the final pic I took of him measured and a link to the thread outlining the story of all the moves I put the guy through.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/meet-shaka.537737/

View attachment 1188209
If you stay in the hobby look into a fish with a lot of personality. I've heard some good things about Puffers and Oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store