RTG Arowana sitting on the bottom

Sunkist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a 45cm RTG Arowana who has been thriving well up until today.
Fed him last night with a marinara mix (completely thawed out) which he demolished. I know he is full when his stomach bulges out.

Today around 8:00am, I found him resting on the bottom corner of the tank. He moves around from time to time but then returns to the corner. he isn't breathing heavily or anything. It's about 2pm now and he's still moving but very sluggish then returning back to his corner.
Still has the little food bulge at his stomach area.
I've tested the water with PH 7.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm.

I've bumped up the temperature from 28 degrees celsius to 30 degrees celsius. I've also added in some salt.

he's currently housed with a ray who doesn't seem to be affected by anything.
I've checked him for any external body damages or parasites or bacteria but nothing that I can visually see.
Last water change was 3 days ago.

Is there anything else I can potentially do? I think he might be bloated from the marinara mix and I should give him time for it to pass. I'm also thinking of maybe giving him an epsom salt bath to help alleviate his bowels.

thanks

anitstuk123

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
I know that this is difficult to do but if you could either house the Arowana or the Ray in some sort of quarantine tank to see if there is any difference. Good Luck mate

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a 45cm RTG Arowana who has been thriving well up until today.
Fed him last night with a marinara mix (completely thawed out) which he demolished. I know he is full when his stomach bulges out.

Today around 8:00am, I found him resting on the bottom corner of the tank. He moves around from time to time but then returns to the corner. he isn't breathing heavily or anything. It's about 2pm now and he's still moving but very sluggish then returning back to his corner.
Still has the little food bulge at his stomach area.
I've tested the water with PH 7.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm.

I've bumped up the temperature from 28 degrees celsius to 30 degrees celsius. I've also added in some salt.

he's currently housed with a ray who doesn't seem to be affected by anything.
I've checked him for any external body damages or parasites or bacteria but nothing that I can visually see.
Last water change was 3 days ago.

Is there anything else I can potentially do? I think he might be bloated from the marinara mix and I should give him time for it to pass. I'm also thinking of maybe giving him an epsom salt bath to help alleviate his bowels.

thanks
Probably nothing wrong with it by injury or sickness, but if an arowana sits at the bottom it indicates that he is stressed.

Sunkist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I know that this is difficult to do but if you could either house the Arowana or the Ray in some sort of quarantine tank to see if there is any difference. Good Luck mate
I currently don't have any spare tanks or tubs to house the ray or Arowana. Might have to duck out and find a secondhand tank or tub that would house either one.

Sunkist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Probably nothing wrong with it by injury or sickness, but if an arowana sits at the bottom it indicates that he is stressed.
Hm, not too sure what could be stressing him as all of the fish has been together since day 1. It does look like he's sitting in the corner and sulking. I might move the ray out and see if his mood improves.

anitstuk123

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
Seems like a good idea.. Maybe try rehousing the ray before you attempt to rehouse the Arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store