saltwater stingrays?

wingbak48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
cali
well my lfs is selling saltwater stingrays.....im wondering wat r sum of the more common saltwater stingrays and how larhe will they get??

if it helps, sum of them have blue spots on them..ty

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
wingbak48;479383; said:
well my lfs is selling saltwater stingrays.....im wondering wat r sum of the more common saltwater stingrays and how larhe will they get??

if it helps, sum of them have blue spots on them..ty
If you have never kept a stingray before, DONT buy the blue dot! Its not a matter of if you kill it, its when you kill it! Try a yellow ray, or bullseye ray first. Both are much hardier and need a relatively smaller tank size. Check out Scott W. Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks and Rays." For more info of all elasmobranchs!

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
blue spots are not easy rays as elasmofreak stated. a good book recommended too

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
I usually recomend yellow rays, or bullseye rays for starters. both are easily kept and will often breed in captivity. Blue dots are extremely sensitive animals. they need a PERFECT environment to thrive. A friend & myself have gone though around 8 or so to get our trio. They must be fed constantly, and need the utmost attention. I have prob spent $2800-3000 on their setup and im just now tweaking it! For awhile Shedd Aquarium was keeping them, but they couldnt keep new ones coming fast enough from what i have been told. Im sure they went though hundreds, if that tells you anything.

callum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
london, england
my new tank is coming soon i am interested in keeping yellow stingrays could you advis in a private message

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
How much are these rays at your LOCAL FISH STORE? Im sure a sponsor on here could find you a much hardier ray than the bluespot, and even including the shipping it should be around the same cost.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
to be more precise, there are two species of "blue spot" rays... the ribbontail [taeniura lymma] is the one you have to stay away from, but Daysiatis kuhlii is a fine choice for an elasmobranch keeper.

less attractive but much easier to care for D. kuhlii

the beautiful, impossible T. lymma

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store