Sand+Gravel with Geophagus

smaugster

Feeder Fish
Sep 8, 2024
Hi, I have 4 Geophagus in my 200gal tank. I have 1 Altifrons, 1 Orange Head Tapajos, 1 Sveni and 1 Red Hump Eartheater (I am aware that i need to get some more, I will be doing so next week.) In the tank currently is gravel (smooth, squishy like gravel, 2-3mm, with small rocks that the Geophagus have been spitting out) that came with the tank, and I used it at the time. As the tank is so large, getting all the substrate out while maintaining these fish will be quite difficult. So my question is, can I mix pool filter sand with this Gravel and provide a good environment for my geos? The geos have been on gravel for awhile and seem to be doing okay. But it does not sit well with me because I know they are sand sifters. Will this work?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I think you’ll find that the sand will settle down underneath the gravel. It shouldn’t be to difficult to remove most of the gravel with a dustpan. Done a 180 before with it. Takes a while, but works pretty well. Just don’t scratch up your glass while you’re doing it.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store