Seachem Pond Matrix vs. Eheim Substrat and everything else

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
I was looking up info on Seachem's Pond Matrix bio and found some info on Seachem's site saying that Matrix has at least 4x (!) the amount of biologically active surface area that Eheim Substrat has.

Here's a direct quote from their site:
BET surface area measurements indicate that Matrix™ contains nearly 10 times the specific surface area of Substrat Pro, and more than 20 times the specific surface area of MicroMec. Practically all the specific surface area of both Substrat Pro and MicroMec are in the range of pore diameters to be biologically useful, while some of the surface area of Matrix is in pores that are reserved for physical and chemical processes, not biological processes. Estimates from two different pore geometries indicate that Matrix contains between 4 to 4.5 times the biologically active surface area of Substrat Pro, and between 8 to 9 times the biologically active surface area of MicroMec.

Here's the link if you want to read the whole article:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Matrix.html

I was just wondering if you guys believe Seachem's claims. I'm switching from BioMax to Pond Matrix anyway because I've heard many good things about Matrix and the cost per lb. of it is so much cheaper. If what Seachem says about their surface area is true then I'm going to replace more of my old bio with Matrix.

lipadj46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
queensbury
I have not had the chance to measure the surface area (don't own a scanning electron microscope) but I don know that matrix works as well as the other bio media but is much cheaper so I'm not sure I would dump my current media but if I were buying new I would get the matrix. I actually just bought 8 liters of it for a canister.

Deaths Sting

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
leeishom;4974207; said:
i think, its better to have a mixture of media to help with redundancy, rather than relying on a single type.

+1
I agree thats why i use both Matrix and substrat pro

rhodes_96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2009
Australia
Matrix internal pore size & structure provides an ideal environment for anaerobic bacteria (nitrate consuming bacteria) to colonize. You don't necessarily have to have a very slow flow and ultra low oxygen environment for it to happen. I am able to this in a wet / dry sumps with no extra effort apart from using more matrix than is required for normal bio filtration. I have never been able to replicate this with any other type of media.

calioutlaw1a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
California
johnnycoolxx;4974103; said:
I was just wondering if you guys believe Seachem's claims.
There's really no reason to believe they are lying. SeaChem compared the specific surface areas of Matrix, Substrat Pro, and MicroMec using the BET method, which is commonly used to measure surface area of a huge variety of solids.
If you are interested you can read up on BET theory here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BET_theory

They then adjusted total surface area to account for pores that were too small to support bacterial growth (those less than about 0.4 microns), and found that Matrix has about 4x the biologically useful surface area as the others.

leeishom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Hong Kong, SGV, Seattle, Wa.
the whole point of making a thread in a public forum, is to gain knowledge and insight based on individual experiences from members.

I'm not sure WHY posting links, information from other sites and/or COMPANY SITES could or would define and justify TRUTH.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 to 20 nitrate is the norm.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Every company would always say their product is better than others.

The trick now is to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying.

david503bk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
Mamma's house
I use pond matrix cause it's cheaper. When I got extra cash I buy substrate pro. I also like biomax.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Bottom line is they all work well and each manufacturer wants you to believe their product is better. I use Biomax, substrat pro and Matrix ( mixed in one system) and they all seem to perform well.....

I think at the end of the day the cost factor of pond matrix ways pretty heavily on my decision to use it in my next system. Much larger media as well. 20 L for about $90 vs 5 L of substrat pro for the same price. Sub pro is good but not that good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store