Should I get another Gymnothorax Tile?

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
I had this G. Tile named Doug and if it wasn’t for him I possibly would’ve not had gotten into Brackish and Saltwater at least this young. Unfortunately an unexpected ammonia spike caused Doug to not be around anymore. I really miss Doug (and other fish too) because he was a very interactive and interesting. He was kept in a 37 gallon tank which, with a lot of research, is actually an optimal tank size for him. Anyways I currently have a few Black Mollies, a Western Mosquito Fish, 3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, a Pitho Crab, an Engineer Goby, and, hopefully, a Horseshoe Crab (he hasn’t been since recently; hiding in substrate most likely). I want to move some of the Mollies and the Mosquitofish to Freshwater. Once the Engineer Goby gets bigger I might want to get another G. Tile. Should I?

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

Reactions: DawnMichele

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
First pick was him not too long after I got the water to be Brackish. Second pick was before hand when he was in my 55 gallon saltwater tank.

Reactions: DawnMichele

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
You can certainly try, but I personally wouldn't.
37G is much too small for a tile long-term IMO.
Trying to keep a horseshoe crab in captivity is a bad idea; their care and setup requirements become progressively more demanding as they get larger, if they even live long enough. Then again, this thread's about an eel, not a crab.
Most Gymnothorax can and will go after inverts, even hard-shelled ones. They'll be particularly vulnerable after a moult. I have seen smaller Gymnothorax and Echidna winkle out hermit crabs and snails from shells, though they generally don't bother.
I don't think cohabitating two territorial, hole/crevice dwelling species will work out too well; since you have the goby already I'd stick with him, rather than also getting an eel.

Reactions: Loganfish

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
You can certainly try, but I personally wouldn't.
37G is much too small for a tile long-term IMO.
Trying to keep a horseshoe crab in captivity is a bad idea; their care and setup requirements become progressively more demanding as they get larger, if they even live long enough. Then again, this thread's about an eel, not a crab.
Most Gymnothorax can and will go after inverts, even hard-shelled ones. They'll be particularly vulnerable after a moult. I have seen smaller Gymnothorax and Echidna winkle out hermit crabs and snails from shells, though they generally don't bother.
I don't think cohabitating two territorial, hole/crevice dwelling species will work out too well; since you have the goby already I'd stick with him, rather than also getting an eel.
Ok thank you on tips. The last one I owned, Doug, was housed with 3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, a Chocolate Chip Sea Star, an Emerald Crab, and at one point an Archerfish and a Scorpion fish. He never bothered the inverte luckily, but he did decide to attack the Archerfish. The Scorpionfish, as with most of its species imported, had parasites (most likely) which caused the Scorpionfish to not make it after a week. It was $60 and I pissed as the store was 1-2 hours away and only had 24 hour refunds. I would feed him a silverside every few days eventually to keep him fed and happy. The Horseshoe Crab is temporary. I just wanted one to grow out because I love the species and wanted a chance to keep them. Found him not to long ago hiding in the sand. Idk why I haven’t seen him out maybe he’s eating food particles and algae in substrate. Anyways I agree on what you say. Though I do provide plenty of hiding spots like live rock, pvc, etc, it may not be the best idea for a bit. I’ll see how things go, but nonetheless someday I would like another. Not necessarily now or soon but someday.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store