Siamese fighting fish with discus or angelfish?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
It recently came to my mind that these species have very similar water chemistry requirements when I was pondering what bigger fish any MFKers with rescue Siamese fighting fish had them with.
Which makes me wonder. Anyone have their rescue Siamese fighting fish with discus or angelfish? And how is it working?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Seems like an interesting mix, but I can’t see it working out long term. Both of those fish types are going to be fun nippers and be a pain for each other. Betta also will get mean with anything with long fins. If you had a particularly placid betta it could be possible. I really just see a lot of torn fins and annoyed fish. Angels could do some damage too.
A labyrinth fish more like dwarf or honey gouramis could probably work better.
Also, bettas like pretty calm water, I’m not sure on the flow requirements for discus/angels.

Reactions: Midwater

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
You can keep them with both species but you will have to give your bettas a place to escape any rough current. Also, long-finned varieties of betta have never done well for me personally in deep tanks. These fish in nature are from placid, shallow waters. Mine seemed to appreciate decorations or plants to perch/rest in, especially near the surface where they breathe oxygen.

For that reason, I typically keep female bettas in community tanks rather than males.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I did it years ago during all my discus keeping years when bettas were always in my tanks. With both angels and discus, which I frequently kept together, and typically in well planted tanks. I had no problems at all with the combination. The bettas I had were all over the tank and spent much of their time in open areas. They were also always curious and personable. I always had males (occasionally pairs, but usually males). They did typically make their bubble nests among tall plants.

Last edited:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Funny, neutrino's experience with these mixes sounds a lot like my own experince mixing Siamese fighters with pictus catfish. Neither being a good mix on paper, but worked out just fine.
To my great surprise, not 1 of the 6 pictus catfish even appeared to acknowledge the fighting fish was there.

Perhaps the thread's topic working as a mix for neutrino had to do with the tank being monster size? My rescue was very mellow in a 1.83m 473 liter for example, which I imagine would go a long way towards solving some of the on-paper nipping related incompatibility with discus or angelfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store