sick green terror !

chubbylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
so two days ago i bought a 1.5 inch male green terror and today i noticed that he has a barley noticeable little white cloud on his lip. is this cotton mouth or what i really just want to be careful with the whole situation and how to treat it

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How often are u doing water changes? Water parameters? Could be fungus or columnaris. Post some pics.

chubbylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
30% water changes onse a week tank is pefectly clear i have two feather fin catfishes in there and the're fineIMG_2883 (1).jpg

Last edited:

chubbylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
as for peramiters it is a 40 gall tall 36x12x21 and the tank has been setep for like 4 months filtration was a hangover the back rated for 50 gallons and i just added a second one rated for 20 gallons just did a 80% water change

Last edited:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
as for peramiters it is a 40 gall tall 36x12x21 and the tank has been setep for like 4 months filtration was a hangover the back rated for 50 gallons and i just added a second one rated for 20 gallons just did a 80% water change
Why are you doing such a massive water change? Also did you treat the water before adding it to the tank? You should only need to do a 60% water change at most honestly. Also do you have the GT's next tank all set up yet? A 40g isn't going to be enough room for him after a lil while, he'll atleast need a 80g to himself if not larger once he's bigger.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
By parameters tlindsey tlindsey means what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. If you don’t have one already a test kit is essential to keeping an aquarium.
You probably have poor water quality and possibly an uncycled aquarium which is why your green terror is showing these symptoms.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Not necessarily anything wrong with doing a large water change in an established aquarium. But I agree the water looks cloudy in the picture which could indicate problems. Ammonia nitrite nitrate tests would tell us if the tank is properly cycled.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Not necessarily anything wrong with doing a large water change in an established aquarium. But I agree the water looks cloudy in the picture which could indicate problems. Ammonia nitrite nitrate tests would tell us if the tank is properly cycled.
+1 (assuming reasonable tap water). Lot of times I'll do 80% water changes, sometimes 98% water changes-- siphon and fill at the same time to accomplish this once water drops to fish fin level.

Cloudy water can tricky to pin down and it can mean different things. As for the GT's lip, If you just got him a couple of days ago you might be looking at something as simple as a net scuff with more than one simple solution, including but not limited to one or more of the following: clean water, a little salt, a little melafix, in a well established tank a little meth blue (contrary to common belief this doesn't kill off beneficial bacteria in a well established tank and filter), but not as good an idea in a few month old tank.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store