Oct 7, 2021
Reactions: RyeAngeles

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Are you Ashith from YT? Your two arowana have different body shape.

The bottom one looks either overfed or a bit deformed. Judging from the pelvic fin extensions reaching way past the anus, our experience tells me female.

The top fish is a lot slimmer, perhaps underfed and the extensions are a bit too long IME to point to a male, so tentatively I'd say female too, but this may change when the fish grows and puts on proper weight. The jaw thing I need more evidence to take into the account. I didn't see any evidence of this in our arowana with confirmed sexes as a result of breeding and courtship.

Nice thread, tlindsey, even though I hold differing opinions, it is still edifying to read.

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Yes bro..same YT guy..thanks for ur reply

Have u noticed that all your female arowanas have bigger jaws? Just if possible can u confirm sir instead of fin size?

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Glad to see you on MFK!

... The guy in the video is confident too..he just checks the size of anal fins...
The guy in the video is me. Stating for clarity.

Have u noticed that all your female arowanas have bigger jaws? Just if possible can u confirm sir instead of fin size?
No I have not. There is no correlation between the jaw and sex in adult, breeding arowana that we have kept so far. Per my prior reply:

The jaw thing I need more evidence to take into the account. I didn't see any evidence of this in our arowana with confirmed sexes as a result of breeding and courtship.
You have just correctly pointed out my most recent experience where the jaw doesn't correlate with the sex, same as we have observed before with other arowana. I am glad that you watched our humble videos with great attention to detail. Kudos for you! Yes, indeed, the new young arowana that's not adult, only 1.5 years old, has an overreaching lower jaw but the pelvic fins tell me it's a female. That's all I know for now. If it lives long enough to participate in courtship and breeding behavior, I'll know more then.

Moreover, it seems the overextended jaw doesn't appear to translate into adulthood, I can't be 100% sure, but NONE of our adult arowana had it or have it and we have kept more than a dozen into adulthood.

Lastly, I'd like to state for clarity that my ways are homegrown, not scientific and based on a very small number of fish, which prevents me from making general sweeping statements. It's just my observations and explanation and a resulting personal working hypothesis. You can see that other peers hold different opinions. So there is no consensus. Moreover, science appears to not know external sexual differences of silver arowana, which could be that the scientists looked and not found them (in which case our peers and I can throw away our hypotheses) or that they never looked or never published their results. We just don't know without a scientific literature search and study.

Last edited:

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Your videos are awesome bro.....i used to see many silver arowana videos but dont know which one is authentic regarding arowana gender....i am your YT channel subscriber too...what do u think about this pic brother? U have many adult arowanas to check....mine is 18 and 10 inches..

FB_IMG_1634093056811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Your videos are awesome bro.....i used to see many silver arowana videos but dont know which one is authentic regarding arowana gender....i am your YT channel subscriber too...what do u think about this pic brother? U have many adult arowanas to check....mine is 18 and 10 inches..

View attachment 1477439
May be incorrect, above seems what to be Asian arowana which is harder to distinguish

Reactions: Getbackca

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
May be incorrect, above seems what to be Asian arowana which is harder to distinguish
Ok sir....if possible will u be able to publish a new video in your YT channel about ur male and female silver arowana ..how they look, their head shape , their anal part etc ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

View attachment 1477439
Thank you for watching our channel.

I think this is Asian arowana. The subtlety of the differences in the pouch and the "A" features and the 60% accuracy signal that this is not a reliable way to sex these fish.

The thing is the pouch part is flexible, it is not bone, it can be extended or contracted. If this is the only way offered by that paper to distinguish Asian arowana sexes, then I'd say it's close to having no way... ... ... unless this way is proposed to be used when males keep babies in the mouth, which I doubt but cannot discard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store