Slowing down UV sterilizer flow

Giggalz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2017
Howdy! I just bought a sunsun submersible UV sterilizer and I'm a little worried about the flow being too strong for my itty bitty flowerhorn. Any ideas on how to possibly slow it down some?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beyond being too strong a flow for fish, if flow is too strong going thru the UV, the UV will not be effective. There needs to be enough detention time passing the UV to jumble up the chromosomes in pathogens, and algae or to outright kill them.
You can put a Tee with a valve to throttle back flow on the line thru the UV unit, letting the flow from the other side of the Tee remain strong.
A simple PVC Tee below, but there are also hose barb Tees available from stores like Home Depot that can be used.

below a hose barb type El

below, a PVC ball valve used to throttle back (slow) flow.

Giggalz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2017
I tried a sponge..there isn't much of a nozzle to keep the sponge on.

Its also square so I'm not sure if I can attach a pipe to it

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
They're only rated at 800lph if I'm looking at the right ones. Unless you have your flowerhorn in something like a 50L tank that wouldn't be much current except for close to the outlet directly in front of the filter.

Giggalz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2017
They're only rated at 800lph if I'm looking at the right ones. Unless you have your flowerhorn in something like a 50L tank that wouldn't be much current except for close to the outlet directly in front of the filter.
I have a 55g..he's only 2 inches..very timid..he's been hiding for 3 weeks straight now..

Idk I keep reading how they can't have a lot of current?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
As stated above, an 800L pump will generate very little current in a 55 gallon tank, except within a few inches of the outlet. Most of the tank will have minimal effects.

If you still have concerns, add tall plants inside the tank and that will reduce water circulation even more.

However, ime, fish as small as 1-2" don't have problems in those tanks. I had 2 power heads plus an HOB in a 55 gallon with many small fish and they were fine.

Giggalz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2017
As stated above, an 800L pump will generate very little current in a 55 gallon tank, except within a few inches of the outlet. Most of the tank will have minimal effects.

If you still have concerns, add tall plants inside the tank and that will reduce water circulation even more.

However, ime, fish as small as 1-2" don't have problems in those tanks. I had 2 power heads plus an HOB in a 55 gallon with many small fish and they were fine.
I honestly do not know how much it pumps out. Its meant for a 150g tank..I didn't realize until I received it

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I honestly do not know how much it pumps out. Its meant for a 150g tank..I didn't realize until I received it
Okay, I get it.

So, the pump you're using is rated for a tank that is almost 3x larger than the tank it's on? Yes, that would be perhaps too much current for a small fish.

Beyond the many good suggestions above which should also work, here are some other options:

1) move the pump to the far end of the tank where it's easier for the fish to avoid
2) add tall plants around the outlet and between the outlet and the rest of the tank
3) jerry-rig a light cloth or sock (using rubber bands) around the outlet to slow down and disburse the current
4) flip the outlet or location so the outflow goes against the glass and not directly into the water
5) raise the outlet so it doesn't enter the water directly (noisier, but will work)
6) or, obviously, get a smaller pump (more cost, but perhaps unavoidable)

Giggalz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2017
I sleep in this room..nothing noisier lol. I tried allowing it towards the wall but its a tall hexigon tank And the water shoots out of the tank lol. Its a pump all included so I cannot change that either
Okay, I get it.

So, the pump you're using is rated for a tank that is almost 3x larger than the tank it's on? Yes, that would be perhaps too much current for a small fish.

Beyond the many good suggestions above which should also work, here are some other options:

1) move the pump to the far end of the tank where it's easier for the fish to avoid
2) add tall plants around the outlet and between the outlet and the rest of the tank
3) jerry-rig a light cloth or sock (using rubber bands) around the outlet to slow down and disburse the current
4) flip the outlet or location so the outflow goes against the glass and not directly into the water
5) raise the outlet so it doesn't enter the water directly (noisier, but will work)
6) or, obviously, get a smaller pump (more cost, but perhaps unavoidable)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store