snail infestation....

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
my planted tank has been infested by snails.....
i could add some loachs in there 2 eat d snails, but it would be next 2 impossible 2 net them out later.......

are there any good snail removing liquids, which really work....

plz suggest something.......

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Bad idea, many things that can kill snails, can also kill plants. If you don't have any livestock other than plants, some ammonia in the water may kill the snails, and will just feed the plants. What kind of snails do you have?

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
WyldFya;730734;730734 said:
Bad idea, many things that can kill snails, can also kill plants. If you don't have any livestock other than plants, some ammonia in the water may kill the snails, and will just feed the plants. What kind of snails do you have?
i do have fish in there....
don't know what kinda snails they are.........

and if im 2 add ammonia, how much should i add it...

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
ONLY if you don't have fish. Ammonia is not an option if you do. The best thing to do, is just regulate how much food you put in the tank. Snails will not over take a tank unless they have a food source. If these are a type that eat plants then you will have a problem, however few do.

AwolAngler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
South Eastern Ma.
www.myspace.com
That sucks man, I know how you feel. when I was a kid I caught some small pond snails and thought it was smart to put in a small community tank to help control the algae. Well they did haha and the multiplied like i could have never foreseen and destroyed the intake filter I had :-/

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
Snails suck, unless you have a Mbu puffer, then its no worries but you would need a big tank they get monster size...

I would use loachs if its a small tank. There are some nice loachs out there.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Fly River;747198;747198 said:
Snails suck, unless you have a Mbu puffer, then its no worries but you would need a big tank they get monster size...

I would use loachs if its a small tank. There are some nice loachs out there.
Snails are only bad if you don't take the time to control them. Very few are devastating to plants, and all are easily controlled. Overfeeding is the most common reason for snail populations to get out of control.

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
I switch a queen botia back and forth between my daughters tank and mine every few months ... does a good job of managing the snails .... still have 3 or 4 big ones but no little ones :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store