Spiny eel identification

Shannon...

Feeder Fish
Dec 6, 2018
Hi I need help trying to figure out what species of spiny eel I have. I bought him a few months ago and the store owner thought it was a yellow tail. It accidentally came in with an order of kuhli loaches. It looks just like a yellow tail but the tail itself is not split into two sections like a yellow tail is supposed to be. It is currently 2 and a half inches long. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

IMG_8865.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Macroganthus pancalus.

Reactions: tlindsey

Shannon...

Feeder Fish
Dec 6, 2018
Macroganthus pancalus.
That is what we originally thought it was but the tail is throwing it off. Unless it developes a different tail fin as it gets older somehow. Maybe it is possibly deformed? Here is a pic of most spiny eel tail fins including Macroganthus Pancalus AKA yellow tail spiny eel.

IMG_8873.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Might be just a juvi and let it grow out and develop. Don’t see many adults. Cool eel none the less. Got a m dayi and it’s always interesting.

Shannon...

Feeder Fish
Dec 6, 2018
Might be just a juvi and let it grow out and develop. Don’t see many adults. Cool eel none the less. Got a m dayi and it’s always interesting.
Thank you! It is an awesome little fish. it never hides and as soon as it sees me it darts up to the top thinking I'm going to feed it. It has been eating worms from my hand since day 3 of having it :)

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you! It is an awesome little fish. it never hides and as soon as it sees me it darts up to the top thinking I'm going to feed it. It has been eating worms from my hand since day 3 of having it :)
That’s great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store