Sponge filters

Pjv81

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2024
Has anyone have experience with sponge filters?

I ordered 2 off of aquarium co-op for a 10g and 20g I’m going to do heavily planted with shrimp and guppy’s to hopefully breed them.

but I noticed it says for larger tanks like 125g to use 2 large sponge filters? I have a FX5 on my 125 but was curious if anyone with larger tanks uses/used them as they r really cheap and seem to do a great job from the reviews.

I’m debating adding one to my 125g just to have the added oxygen added and surface breakup.

IMG_5973.png

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
noticed it says for larger tanks like 125g to use 2 large sponge filters?
No worries just use one in the 20 gallon.
debating adding one to my 125g just to have the added oxygen added and surface breakup.
I would add it to the 125gal. You will have a seeded sponge for fry or if you wanted to quick start another aquarium.

Reactions: Pjv81 and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
When you look at the big picture...considering cost to purchase, cost to operate, longevity, effectiveness and just about any other metric you care to discuss...sponge filters are pretty much the best value in aquarium filtration.

I have 'em in many assorted sizes. I purchase Poret foam cartridges, 19 x 6 x 6 inches, and either cut 'em into several shorter pieces or use 'em whole in bigger tanks. The cartridges have a hole drilled through them lengthwise; just build yourself an airlift out of PVC or ABS pipe, swiss-cheesing the portion that slides into the sponge. I silicone a ceramic tile to the sponge to act as a base and weight, and to close off the nether end of the drilled hole. You can also silicone the tile to the side of the cartridge, so that it lays horizontally on the bottom and is easier to conceal with plants, etc. If you do that, you need to use a 90-degree elbow to attach the swiss-cheesed interior pipe to the vertical air lift pipe.

Regardless of how you configure it, you should put a cap on the bottom end of the perforated tube. Makes it easier to remove dumb-ass catfish, plecos, loaches, etc. when (not "if") they get themselves stuck in there. :)

Pjv81

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2024
When you look at the big picture...considering cost to purchase, cost to operate, longevity, effectiveness and just about any other metric you care to discuss...sponge filters are pretty much the best value in aquarium filtration.

I have 'em in many assorted sizes. I purchase Poret foam cartridges, 19 x 6 x 6 inches, and either cut 'em into several shorter pieces or use 'em whole in bigger tanks. The cartridges have a hole drilled through them lengthwise; just build yourself an airlift out of PVC or ABS pipe, swiss-cheesing the portion that slides into the sponge. I silicone a ceramic tile to the sponge to act as a base and weight, and to close off the nether end of the drilled hole. You can also silicone the tile to the side of the cartridge, so that it lays horizontally on the bottom and is easier to conceal with plants, etc. If you do that, you need to use a 90-degree elbow to attach the swiss-cheesed interior pipe to the vertical air lift pipe.

Regardless of how you configure it, you should put a cap on the bottom end of the perforated tube. Makes it easier to remove dumb-ass catfish, plecos, loaches, etc. when (not "if") they get themselves stuck in there. :)
Awesome Ty for the info, I have one on the way for the 10 or 20 gal whichever I decide to make a planted shrimp/guppy tank. I feel like I don’t see many pics of them on here, although a lot of people’s tanks are over 150g and go into fx6 or sumps.

Reactions: tlindsey

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Great bio filters. Only filter you need for small or nano tanks. I add to all of my tanks for the extra bio filtration. I haven't been able to replace canisters for large tanks with large cichlids.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I run a FX6 on my 125 and still use 2 XL sponge filters (1) for extra bio filtration (2) for added surface agitation (3) i always keep a spare 36 gallon tank empty so if i need a quick set up

Reactions: Pjv81
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store