stone roller or creek chub??

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
IMG_20150430_191126.jpg can't determine which if either.

IMG_20150430_191126.jpg

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
Screenshot_2015-04-30-19-31-37.pngI go back and fourth. Any danger to my dace? They came from same creek.

Screenshot_2015-04-30-19-31-37.png

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They're suckers. Not stoneroller or chub.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
They're suckers. Not stoneroller or chub.
its only one fish. I tried to get a better angle. Sucker? is that like a broad generic name? any care advice? I have kept blacknose dace many times. they thrive in ponds, native tanks, even low end tropical. I scooped this guy up at the same time under a rock by accident.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hard to tell what species from these pictures but it's definitely a sucker (loose term to define Catostomids). I'll gamble it's a Northern Hogsucker though from that coloration and the bars. For NHSs, keep them over a mature substrate they can sift (sand or loose gravel). For first foods to with live earthworms and then slowly wean them on to "melty" shrimp pellets. Melty meaning they're pre soaked in water and the soft texture of them at that point will make them more appetizing. For my white sucker, I started him on bloodworms and in about a week he was eating large flakes from the surface, but that's very unusual behavior for a sucker. No worries as far as aggression, pretty much all of our native Catostomids are peaceful fish that mind their own business. I'd see no problem keeping a 12" sucker with juvenile 1" darters as suckers just aren't morphologically built for predation, what with their inferior mouth position.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm on board with dive on that one, northern hogsucker, the banding is whats pushing me that way.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Divemaster is wrong on sucker species. It is a white sucker. Young white suckers will have three faded black spots on body and the scale size (small scales on front and large scales in caudal region). White suckers and redhorses are a bit predatory that they will feed on small fishes if an opportunity rises. My PB redhorse was caught on a fathead minnow. But they will be fine with your current daces.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Divemaster is wrong on sucker species. It is a white sucker. Young white suckers will have three faded black spots on body and the scale size (small scales on front and large scales in caudal region). White suckers and redhorses are a bit predatory that they will feed on small fishes if an opportunity rises. My PB redhorse was caught on a fathead minnow. But they will be fine with your current daces.
Odd coloration for a white, awfully brown. We need more pics from the OP to positively ID it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store