Strawberry

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have 5 sp. Strawberry. Started with 1 and added thge other 4 within a few months.
I have noted with a handful of "aggressive" non-cichlid species, there seems to be a size ratio when not in large groups.
The largest strawberrt of the group is largest when looking at length and girth. The others which have been in the tank long enough to reach a decent size have not done so. The have stayed smaller that the dominant fish. I have found this with L. ortomaculatus which have been in a group of 8 for almost a year now and Epalzeorhynchos bicolor which were in a group of 6 for over a year but as the alpha reaches maturity it is becoming an issue. Mainly due to tank size.

As for aggression......I find the granti/Sp. Strawberry rather on the aggressive side. When it was alone, it harassed the other tankmates all the time, ripping fins and sides. Now in a group of 5, the stuff each other up on the regular. This is a very high flow tank with5 Strawberries, 8 ortomaculatus and 4 A. ternetzi. Some of the most aggressive "small/medium fish I have owned. Only neimacheilus loaches have been fast enough to escape ant damage.

Having said that, the Strawberries do seem to keep it amongst themsleves now. Initially, the dominant strawberry took out the eye of one of the ortomaculatus despite heavy feeding.

20230408_172402.jpg

20231029_174545.jpg

20231029_174646.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store