Surface Skimmer for FX-6

Justin C - IronMan_Tesla

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
New Jersey
Hi Guys,

Just purchased a perfect surface skimmer for Fluval FX-6 all you need is
JBL's Top Clean II they only sell these in Europe but can be shipped.
Here's the video and pic.
it works perfect for all those tank that don't have Surface skimmer or wet/dry system.

DSC_0115.JPG

Seth Bannister

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2019
I’ve just fitted one of these for my fx6 but I struggling with air in the filter. Maybe because the inlet flow is slower or the intake itself is drawing air in. Did you have this issue or can you help me?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Fluval has a surface skimmer made for the FX6 that they do sell in the states.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not that I can help in any way.
But I do believe this is one of the most important add ons to any filtration system, (especially to cans).
Most people believe it is the stuff like feces and gunk on the substrate that is most important to get rid of, and while those are good things to get rid of.
I believe it is the air water interface (fancy term for water surface), where the most hazardous (mostly invisible) substances build up. Oils, proteins, DOC etc etc collect on the water surface, and prevent O2 and other gas exchange, and in general degrade water quality more than a few turds do.
Most of the time these pollutants go unnoticed because water movement remixes them back into the water column.
But if for any reason the aerators or pumps stop, it doesn't;t take long to notice the slime, and filmy build up, betraying their existence.
This is one of the reasons protein skimming is important, especially in salt water tanks where water changes are prohibitively expensive.
My video below, shows protein skimming in a freshwater pond.
The foam is the normally unseen stuff that appears when the air water interface is fractionated.
koi pond fractionation
Great purchase Justin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store