Synodontis Eupterus (featherfin) max size?

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
my LFS has a fish about 6" that looks to be a featherfin catfish.they are asking $10 for it and I am tempted to buy it but I was wondering about their true maximum size (or expected maximum size to reach in a 250g?)?

I am asking because I have seen very large ones about 12-15" they used to have in a display tank and I know they have a catfish in Las Vegas at the shark reef aquarium in Mandalay bay that looks exactly like a featherfin catfish and it is about 24"+.If it is not a eupterus I don't know what it is but it definitely has the "feather fin"and the spots/coloration and definitely looks like a syno of some kind if not eupterus ........

If it tops out at like 12" or so I guess that not that bad but I was hoping for bigger.

BTW are there any foreseeable problems with keeping them with 4-5" clown loaches?

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
Well from the sparse info I can dig up synos do not get that big?the 12"+ ones at my LFS are possible but they had to have been really old.....

Any ideas what these large syno looking catfish are if they aren't synos?

They really look just like em but big....Ive seen them before in members tanks here on the site as well,very large syno looking catfish sometimes 15" or so.....

I want one...

but I still will get the eupterus if it isn't going to be overly aggressive toward my loaches...

albyoscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2006
The home of the CHIEEEFS
mine is about a year old and six inches ive heard 10 was max for these guys but there are exceptions to every rule as far as aggresive behavior the only one he fights with in my tank was an albino chocolate pleco , he never even pays attention to my loachs

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Never heard of one over 10"
What you want is the Synodontis longirostris I didnt buy at the lfs yesterday cause I dont have a big enough tank for when it grows up

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
gomezladdams;1472121; said:
Never heard of one over 10"
What you want is the Synodontis longirostris I didnt buy at the lfs yesterday cause I dont have a big enough tank for when it grows up
yeah that lloks like it could be him,thanks for pointing me in the right direction :headbang2

few Q's about the longirostris:

are they hard to find?
what sort of price do they run?

thanks again:D

mattheuw1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Pewaukee, WI
Mine is about 6-7 inches. I have no idea how old he is. I've only had him for a few months. He is a great fish, but doesn't come out much during the day. He has a home in the middle of a tree stump and I can see him flipping upside down all of the time and he is always visible but doesn't move from the middles of the tree stump. When I turn on my moon lights He slides his belly on the glass all around the tank. Very smooth swimming fish and active at night. He owns the tree stump in my tank and gets a little angry at my baby oscar because my oscar thinks its THEIR stump. The oscar doesn't mind the eupterus, but the eupterus seems to mind the oscar. I haven't seen any aggression yet, but only time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store