Tank Size for Black tip reef shark

Shannon Ebert

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2016
Hi,

I would like some help regarding Tank size for 1.5 ft Black tip reef shark?

Also, what type of food must it be fed? how often?

Finally, what is the size of the tank for acclimatization period / conditioning period for these fish once they arrive via air freight?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hi,

I would like some help regarding Tank size for 1.5 ft Black tip reef shark?

Also, what type of food must it be fed? how often?

Finally, what is the size of the tank for acclimatization period / conditioning period for these fish once they arrive via air freight?

im no shark expert, ive kept a pair of coral cat sharks, but im pretty sure the minium tank size is around a 10-15' diamater pool for BTR. my local shopping mall houses 3-4 at any given time in a 16'x4'-6'x4' and its pretty sad to see. they replace the sharks often unkowingly to most of the public. one was eaten by a 5' green morey, noticed a few go down after having smashed noses and another succumb to a good sized goiter in its throat :/.... Seriously consider other species options unless you have a pool/very large enclosure dedicated to them.

as for feeding, sharks need vitimin supplements/tabs added into their food (cut fish, squid, shrimp, scallops) throughout the week by per lb. of shark and its also a normal husbandry practice to give them injections of meds as preventative for disease/infection. Theyll eat every day also. we have some good info in the sharks/rays section to answer ur questions further... do some reading and hopefully some reconsidering lol... BTR's really arent suited for typical tanks. Plenty of other benethic sp. you could breed in 500-1000gal tanks if u even have that amt of space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store