tank size for dovii ?

skunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
hi guys, just wanted to know what size tanks ppl keep thier doviis in.

i have a 150g that im thinking of using to house a SINGLE dovii. is this posible for its lifeitime? im aware that they get 30inches...but thats in the wild isnt it ? a 30inch dovii in a tank is a rare sight no?

its either a pair of jags or a single dovii,

what do ya'll reakon ?
thanks !

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I think it depends on the dimensions of the 150. I think that most of them are only like 4 feet long and very high. If that is the case then deffinatly no. But if it has other dimensions it could be a possibility.

Chad

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
go with the pair of jags........I like jags:D

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
IMO you need at least a 180 (6x2x2), but even that would require some serious water changes. Even a 300 would seem small for a large dovii, and I don't mean a 30" one. A 18" fish would prefer more space than either of those tanks.

Have you thought about grammodes or istlanum?

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
if you really want the dovii...the 150 would be good for a while..but serously you could not put any tankmates in there..and you would have to do extremely large water changes..and have a really good filtration system..and i would do a bare bottom tank for easy cleaning of debri.......but you would also have to upgrade tank size when its bigger..if i was you i would go with a pair of red tiger motas..or some loiselli

skunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
thanks for the replys guys. & yep the dimensions of the 150g is a standard 5x2x2. (5ft long)

hmm yeah at the moment i thnk its best i get the jags. i do love the jags as well but theyr not as mean n baddass as doviis are lol.

not 100% sure if i can get red tigers as i dont recall seeing any at my LFS.

skunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
just out of interest, say if i were to go the single dovii, would i beable to put in a pleco just to clean up ? or would the dovii just kill the pleco ?

if that idea fails, i shall go with the jag pair. would i beable to add a pleco in with em as well ?

thx

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
it all depends on the temperment of the individual fish. I've seen docile Doviis, and I have a very docile jag. I've also seen both be real killers. Its hard to tell to be honest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store