Terrible tank to clean.

IFLAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2017
So, first off, this is my first time posting on here, hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the hobby but I am a fast learner and I've unfortunately had two losses of fish(Senegal bichir and albino irri) but for 6 months and over 70 fish I think I'm doing Alright! Anyway guys I have a problem and if I can post the picture I will, but i have a 55 long that I found (there's the problem) that I'm trying to get my juvenile Dovii into. It's bad. I sprayed off everything that wasn't on glass that would chip off and I'm left with this terrible gritty sweater of calcium and lime on the glass. The algae calcified..... I tried vinegar..... not much. I was thinking going with a natural acid like citric or possibly something non natural but easily neutralized. I don't want to run the risk of hurting my Dovii but I do want to upgrade him. He's 2 Inches and starting to be noticeably bigger every other day and he's only in a thirty gallon tall right now. I'm going to have him in a 150 by a foot long anyway but we have so many fish and tanks already that we could add 2 tomorrow and still have fish that can be moved around and situated to be even more comfortable. We currently have a need to move the slower growing female into the 30 and get him into the 55 because she is currently in the tank with a bass that has the ability but I don't think the balls to eat her. He is legitimately terrified of her and I've seen him go to blows with our 6 inch convict. Still, the risk is there and we would rather not take it. Here is the picture I hope and I want to know if anyone has advice on how to get it all off. 20180127_072047.jpg

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have had success using CLR. However, some will recommend against it because it’s a chemical. I have used it and it made the tank look brand new again, then rinsed the tank A LOT. I had no issues doing that, but if you’re not comfortable with it then that’s ok. CLR is water soluble, so it should rinse out very well with just plain water.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
When I used it, it was on a 29 and I still have that tank up and running today (it’s probably over 20 years old). I have heard it could damage seals but it didn’t damage the seals on my tank. Granted, I didn’t scrub at the seams with it either.

IFLAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2017
When I used it, it was on a 29 and I still have that tank up and running today (it’s probably over 20 years old). I have heard it could damage seals but it didn’t damage the seals on my tank. Granted, I didn’t scrub at the seams with it either.
The seams on this are seriously bad though. I may just have to re seal it after and CLR everything.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have had success using CLR. However, some will recommend against it because it’s a chemical. I have used it and it made the tank look brand new again, then rinsed the tank A LOT. I had no issues doing that, but if you’re not comfortable with it then that’s ok. CLR is water soluble, so it should rinse out very well with just plain water.
I have used for to it needs to be cleaned very well after or try bar keepers friend

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That is interesting ^^

I buy used tanks. I’m cheap and hate the idea of brand new when I can buy it way cheaper from someone who got in over their head or getting out of the hobby.
I use vinegar and a razor blade. Get one of the handles that holds the blade for scrapping. It makes it so much easier then holding the razor itself.
I soak paper towels with the vinegar, spray the glass, place the towels over the area I’m going to clean, then spray again. Let sit for a while. Then use he blade to scrap everything off. It has always worked great for me.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
The seams on this are seriously bad though. I may just have to re seal it after and CLR everything.
If the seams are bad, and the glass is in such bad shape and it's gonna take so much work, why bother? Pet Supplies Plus (if you have a local one) has their $1 per gal sale on right now which includes 55g so you could get a brand new one for $55. Or even if you don't have one of those Petco/Petsmart are all over the country and they have 50% off on 55g right now till Feb 2nd so you could get a brand new one there for about $60/$65.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge DIY guy and always like to do things myself as well, but something as common as a 55g, if it needs that much work and a reseal to boot then I would say save yourself the headache dump it and snag a brand new one while they are so cheap right now.

Reactions: elting44

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've used CLR for years. But I had some really tough toilet stands that CLR did not even dent that easily came off with Lysol Lime and Rust, toilet bowl cleaner.

I would use the CLR first, but this is something you can test if CLR doesn't work. I've used it on glass, but I don't vouch for it as not causing issues. Like using liquid cleaner on a carpet, it's good to test it on an otherwise covered area first.

I would always avoid the seals when using any unusual chemicals as the stains are not an issue behind a seal.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store