Texas X Rainbow Cichlid

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
This Project HAS BEEN LONG over due. Been waiting for these fry to get to a size i can take out and photograph, So now almost 8-9 months since I've seen the fry i introduce to you my worlds first rainbow Texas. Was blown away by the shape of it being rainbow and the amount of pearling has blown me away already as they grow they will get more. If they develop similarly to there rainbow counter part or even my Salvini X Texas there's a very very good chance this thing is gonna be orange as it grows very excited for the future of this project.

AA394995-9EFD-4C1F-B4B3-AFE3E5FEC860.JPEG

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
Is this what they all look like? Or this one you chose for the photo?
This is what they look like at least most of many I produced. (Some have better pearly then this… I’d consider this one of the lesser ones) They’re still only about a inch… if they develop like my Texas x salvini around 2-2.5 they will start to slowly fill in with there color. Hopefully they fill in faster and with brighter color cause my rainbow was 10x better then my salvini

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
My friend has a Jack Dempsey and Rainbow that breed in his main tank. He has never kept any fry but they spawn on a regular basis. I'll see if I can grab some of the fry to grow out. My Texas convict female is now too big for my rainbow male

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
My friend has a Jack Dempsey and Rainbow that breed in his main tank. He has never kept any fry but they spawn on a regular basis. I'll see if I can grab some of the fry to grow out. My Texas convict female is now too big for my rainbow male
that is amazing yeah Rainbow X JD could be rlly nice I mean the pearls are there. The shapes of eachother could cause a better shape. Like I did rainbow X con and it cause cons in the shape of rainbows culled them all off around a inch cause Yk trash. But the JD x rainbow would be interesting to see the shape/pearls/ and how the color comes through as the fish matures. Have a friend working on a FH x Rainbow now soo high hopes for that cross looking good even if have to breed to F2 or back and forth to get it right

Reactions: HybridFinatic

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I think the body shape should be good, be interesting to see what mouth they take on.

The flowerhorn and rainbow is an odd one. Who knows where that will go

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
3 examples of rainbow X Texas
Look at there heads they’re a little more round. They’re bodies are more round then normal Texas as well as there eyes are orange

DF06BCDA-FDF6-4008-B73F-E8E272BD6CA8.jpeg

0E5D100D-8A8F-4543-8F12-4C104DBC736D.jpeg

8345F8AE-859D-4E90-9588-136674C15BBA.jpeg

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
Can I just confirm - are you sure these are progeny of texas cichlids (Herichthys cyanogutattus)? The pearlings look like they come from a green texas (Herichthys carpintis) rather than a texas cichlid. Would be really surprising if a hybrid with texas genes would somehow show green texas patterns.
Yes green Texas X rainbow you can see the examples of my green Texas line in some of my other posts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store