The elusive sp. Dabola

washywashy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Singapore
Hi bichir bros!! I'm starting this thread to discuss a few pieces of bichir that I have. I hope for the input from bros that are knowledgeable in this area.

First up is a Dabola I got from source A

So is this piece a Dabola? If it is, why do you say so? Do list the characteristics that makes it a Dabola to you. I will also post the pics of 2 more bichirs that I just got. 1 is a Guinea lapradei while the other is a Dabola. These 2 are from source B. It may take a few days for me to post pics of them as they have just arrived and their true colours may not show as they are under quarantine. :)

ejwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
central IL
I couldn't tell u if it is or isn't cuz I'm new at bichir keeping. But I will say whatever it is you have there looks really nice. I wouldn't mind knowing what it is exactly and if I can get one here

washywashy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Singapore
WOW!! I've only seen a Tikinsso Guinea Lapradei that belongs to Infblue... Anymore inputs guys? I really appreciate it! :)

washywashy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Singapore
Guys, here's the Guinea lapradei that I just got yesterday. Still not fully coloured out yet. Doesn't it look like the sp. Dabola that I got above? I'll post better pics of it once it's stabilised.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Both your bichirs are Guinea laps. The Tikinsso Guinea lap are caught in Southern part of Guinea. Toyin sell them. There are many members that have them here. Jungle also have those not just Infblue. Even CDM got one.

washywashy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Singapore
Both your bichirs are Guinea laps. The Tikinsso Guinea lap are caught in Southern part of Guinea. Toyin sell them. There are many members that have them here. Jungle also have those not just Infblue. Even CDM got one.
Got it bro.. I just saw the one that Jungle posted. Exactly like mine! Guess it's a mis-ID? I'm aware that Dabola, Koliba and Koloton were also once all known as Guinea lapradei. This might give rise to the confusion. Anyway, this is the head of the Dabola that I got the Guinea lap from. The colour's not stabilised yet though...

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
nice lap :)

washywashy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Singapore
Thanks bro!

Ok guys so the Dabola I got from source B has coloured up better when I woke up this morning...

Looks very endli don't you think so? Headshape's narrower though....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store