Thiaminase in silversides? an HTH related question

thewaterboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi all, I am trying to cut down on the amount of thiaminase my oscar and jag eat. We all know goldfish have high amounts but what about silversides? Also, i bought a bag of frozen smelt at my local Asian market. Do these fish have high thiaminase? My oscar has just started to show signs of HTH. I have seen some recommendations for API vitamin pyramid. i might get that but then I saw Boyd Vita Chem. What do people think about that brand?

I know, i know...i have changed the water and im keeping a very close eye on water quality.
Thanks for the advice.
-Tom

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
Question, what else are you feeding them? I know pellets aren't as fun to watch them chase around but a high-quality pellet like NLS (and they make a large carnivore pellet too) would help deal with vitamin issues.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, I am trying to cut down on the amount of thiaminase my oscar and jag eat. We all know goldfish have high amounts but what about silversides? Also, i bought a bag of frozen smelt at my local Asian market. Do these fish have high thiaminase? My oscar has just started to show signs of HTH. I have seen some recommendations for API vitamin pyramid. i might get that but then I saw Boyd Vita Chem. What do people think about that brand?

I know, i know...i have changed the water and im keeping a very close eye on water quality.
Thanks for the advice.
-Tom
Smelt contains it, Idk about silversides, pellets are your best bet.

thewaterboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Boston, MA
yeah i feed massivore to them. the jag is not showing any signs it's just the oscar. It turns out the "silversides" i got at my asian market are smelt. Smelt contain thiaminase and i have stopped feeding it to my fish.

The link i posted says that "silversides" are just the name of any small fish that has a lateral silver-ish marking or stripe. It is not the name of 1 particular species of fish. Different fishfood producers use different species and sell them under the umbrella-term "silversides". According to the author of the material in my posted link, the best brand is SF Bay/ Sally's Silversides. This company uses Menidia Menidia species of silversides which do not contain thaiminase and are NOT smelt. To confirm this, I have emailed SF Bay last saturday and asked again what species of fish they use. I am waiting for their response. In the meantime I have stopped feeding frozen fish to my cichlids.
I like the material in the link i posted....problem is that 1) i don't know how credible the authors are. 2) it was written with reptiles in mind. A lot of people like feeding fish to their garter snakes. 3) there's not a lot of info out their to back any of this up.
So for now, i gotta go with it. I dunno why my oscar is getting HTH....water quality is good, no carbon in my filter, etc. I gotta this theory a shot and see what happens.
There is also a sticky in the forum Fish Disease and Illness posted by Miles, he says that after a lot of research he thinks thiaminase is to blame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store