Toughest pleco? In relation to size and 'armor plating'

Astus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
New Jersey
Hey guys, I was wondering which sp. of pleco you thought is the toughest. Some things to take into account would be if one had thicker armor plating than another, and size as well. The reason I am asking is that I will be buying a pleco to possibly keep with RBP's so I would like one that will be able to handle itself in a tank full of Piranha. I will introduce the P's to the tank after him so he is the 'boss' so to speak when they are introduced, or at the same time considering I doubt ~12x 1" rbps will do much to a pleco.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
I have a 16" common and he looks pretty tough I doubt a rb would be able to do much at all

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Acanthicus Adonis could slice a common for sushi! Ninja fish!

But against piranha nothing is guaranteed, so don't try it.

Astus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
New Jersey
Warborg;4243188; said:
In general I'll say commons but don't quote me with RBPs
Heh I wont hold you accountable if anything goes wrong. Just wanted some input from people more experienced with plecos. I was thinking the common too, or maybe a Panaque or Giant Panaque. But commons are also cheap to replace locally are about 10-20$ so it wont be too much of a loss. I'm also thinking possibly a Raphael cat now. Hmm....

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
It looks like if youd hit a pineapple pleco with a hammer, you would see sparks haha
*Big fins are a no no with p's. As long as the p's grow up with the plec and dont precieve him as food it will be fine.

pjsmetana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Cocoa Beach, FL
Commons are cheap, and tough. Their size and strength should make them just fine for Piranhas. I can't even see the P's bothering any large armored Pleco at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store