Tricks getting armatus off of live

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Any tricks getting armatus off of live? I have found all the other types of "vampire" tetras to be really easy but my new armtus is a pain. Fortunately I maintain my own colony of guppies and swordtails so he has a clean source to hold him over. I have him with a school of brynicus nurse which I thought would help getting off live though now I getting nervous he may try to strike the smallest b. nurse which is similar sized to him

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's been a few years since I've kept armatus but I don't recall having too hard of a time training them....started with slivers of raw fish which I tossed into the tank to mimic real prey,after they were accustomed to the filet I moved on to freeze dried krill which they would snatch from the water surface....and then finally,floating food sticks.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I found armatus the easiest as unlike the scombs and tatt they would take the food straight from anywhere in the water column.

My tank had plenty of flow so assoon as food went in and went past him he would take it

I'd personally keep yours off the live and keep feeding frozen near him he will end up taking it and when he does there will be no stopping him

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I found armatus the easiest as unlike the scombs and tatt they would take the food straight from anywhere in the water column.

My tank had plenty of flow so assoon as food went in and went past him he would take it

I'd personally keep yours off the live and keep feeding frozen near him he will end up taking it and when he does there will be no stopping him
Funny your experience is the exact opposite of mine
I also use the same trick with water flow

Reactions: Simonas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store