True parrot cichlids

LBUK

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2018
Hello guys.
LFS had a couple of these in and I was looking at information for them but found contradicting information. My tank is a 6ft 110gallon tank with a 4" Oscar, 9" Jack dempsey and 7 4 to 6" silver dollars. Would one fit in this tank and how are they temperment wise, size, keeper experience etc.

Thanks

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Hoplarchus psittacus are large body fish (about as big as JD if not bigger), and more on the aggressive size. Your tank is pretty full with all of those fish already once they all turn into adults. I don't recommend adding more.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
These guys are quite sensitive to water parameters, because they have not really been available in the hobby long enough to have been acclimatized to most generic water parameters.
It seems they are very succeptible to HLLE over time, in mineral rich, higher pH water.
Their normal pH range is about 5 to just under 6, so if you have this type lower pH water, you may be good to go.
But if you pH is above 7, combined with less copasetic tank mates the stress may not be conducive to a healthy outcome. The SDs are probably really good tank mates, oscar maybe OK, the JD maybe not (but who knows).
They can reach 14", so a 110 may be a bare minimum tank, I'd want to go larger.
A friend of mine in Chicago had a spawning pair only, in your size tank.
Rocksor may have hit the nail on the head with his caution.
If it were me, I'd make sure the tank had lots of tannin rich wood, lots of leaf litter, maybe peat in filters, and because "my" water in the states (don't remember yours) was mineral rich, pH 7.8, I'd consider mixing either RO, rain water or DI with water changes to get closer to their natural environment.
That softer water would be good for all except the JD, although they tend to be bullet proof, being in the hobby for over 100 years.

Reactions: adamsfishes

LBUK

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2018
Hoplarchus psittacus are large body fish (about as big as JD if not bigger), and more on the aggressive size. Your tank is pretty full with all of those fish already once they all turn into adults. I don't recommend adding more.
These guys are quite sensitive to water parameters, because they have not really been available in the hobby long enough to have been acclimatized to most generic water parameters.
It seems they are very succeptible to HLLE over time, in mineral rich, higher pH water.
Their normal pH range is about 5 to just under 6, so if you have this type lower pH water, you may be good to go.
But if you pH is above 7, combined with less copasetic tank mates the stress may not be conducive to a healthy outcome. The SDs are probably really good tank mates, oscar maybe OK, the JD maybe not (but who knows).
They can reach 14", so a 110 may be a bare minimum tank, I'd want to go larger.
A friend of mine in Chicago had a spawning pair only, in your size tank.
Rocksor may have hit the nail on the head with his caution.
If it were me, I'd make sure the tank had lots of tannin rich wood, lots of leaf litter, maybe peat in filters, and because "my" water in the states (don't remember yours) was mineral rich, pH 7.8, I'd consider mixing either RO, rain water or DI with water changes to get closer to their natural environment.
That softer water would be good for all except the JD, although they tend to be bullet proof, being in the hobby for over 100 years.

Thanks for the detailed replies guys. As it happens my water ph is 6.6 and quite soft. My JD is extrmely passive with my oscar despite his smaller size but if they are going to be touch and go in terms of tank space it maybe better to leave it until there is more room. How quickly do the fish grow? The ones in the shop were about 4 to 5" but some were bright colored and some were a dark green is there any reason behind the difference?

Thanks for the info

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Oscar will be at least 9" in total length within the next 6 months. I suspect the JD will take issue with the oscar once it reaches 6-7".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Personally , this would be a very desirable and challenging species to keep, and I'd want to end up with spawning pair. So if it were me, since your water is almost perfect, I'd snap up 4, (maybe 5, even 6 (as many as I could afford)) and maybe trade in the JD, and the oscar, but plan on a much bigger tank in the near future, just for the parrots.

LBUK

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2018
Personally , this would be a very desirable and challenging species to keep, and I'd want to end up with spawning pair. So if it were me, since your water is almost perfect, I'd snap up 4, (maybe 5, even 6 (as many as I could afford)) and maybe trade in the JD, and the oscar, but plan on a much bigger tank in the near future, just for the parrots.
If only! The missus said similar but I am not sure I could go ahead getting rid of them. I have a 240l tank spare but isnt really big enough for any of them. Shame really! Ive attached pics of the 3 they had.

20190805_214534.jpg

20190805_214556.jpg

20190805_214629.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store