TRUE PARROTS. (Hoplarchus psittacus) pics and care.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
So I recently saw a true parrot at a exhibition house, and was amazed how cool they look.
I would love to see the specimens kept by fellow mfk members and would also like to know about them.
Tank size, max probable size, feeding habits, water parameters, care etc.
Thanks ?

Reactions: tlindsey

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
So I recently saw a true parrot at a exhibition house, and was amazed how cool they look.
I would love to see the specimens kept by fellow mfk members and would also like to know about them.
Tank size, max probable size, feeding habits, water parameters, care etc.
Thanks ?
They are a beautiful species that grows large (14 inches or so)
If they are wild caught they will require acidic water with low hardness / tds. In alkaline water with higher tds they prove prone to HiTH. Domesticated H. Pscittacus don’t seem to be as prone to HiTH.

I have kept them for a brief amount of time and found them not to be aggressive if given plenty of space (300G+) I haven’t had them in smaller aquarium personally but from what I’ve seen in small confines they have high conspecific aggression.

Provided water is kept pristine, plenty of space is given they are a joy too keep and a very beautiful species, especially when large.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
When I contacted the owner of the fish , he told me that he had 2" fry at home . But they are very very expensive . For reference a 7" Oscar costs 600 INR and he's selling 2" fry for 1800 INR . ? . even if I get them I can only get 1 and the chances of that 2" fish surviving is slim but still I think I'll give it a try once my exam gets over.
I'll grow it out in a 10 with some small platys and tetra then shift it to a 40b within maybe a month , and then upgrade it whenever I feel necessary .
Btw I would love to see some pics the fish of fellow members .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store