UV Sterilizer vs. Pleco

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
I currently have a Pleco in my tank and he poops like crazy. I assume he's creating nitrates and other harmful things with his poop in my tank. I paid $10 for him only because I didn't want to deal with algae in the tank. Now, I was thinking of buying a $60-$80 UV sterilizer that would "prevent algae".

Do sterilizers do a good job, or will a pleco still be needed to prevent algae? I do not want to put any chemicals in the tank like "Algae Destroyer". Is their any bang-for-the-buck UV sterilizers out there? The only one at my local Pet Smart was about $60 and looked like it was from a no-name foreign brand.

In case the questions are mixed up above, here's a summary of questions:

1. Am I buying into a common myth that a UV sterilizer would prevent algae and harmful bacteria in the tank, or is this true?
2. Is it correct that a UV sterilizer will do a better job than a pleco, with the added bonus that you won't have to deal with the poop of the pleco?
3. Is their any best bang for the buck UV sterilizers out their that you can recommend?

Please lend advice!

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
best thing for algae is less over feeding and more water changes.. less light... stinks but its true..

UVs kill stuff in the water.. not things growing on the glass/decorations,ect unless you use the UV to light the tank.. but then everything is going to die of skin cancer or something

also:
fish make ammonia
bacteria eat ammonia and make nitrite
other bacteria eat the nitrite and make nitrate
plants eat nitrate.. but you need way more plants than fish to make a dent so this is where waterchanges come into play

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
chesterthehero;2088321; said:
best thing for algae is less over feeding and more water changes.. less light... stinks but its true..

UVs kill stuff in the water.. not things growing on the glass/decorations,ect unless you use the UV to light the tank.. but then everything is going to die of skin cancer or something

also:
fish make ammonia
bacteria eat ammonia and make nitrite
other bacteria eat the nitrite and make nitrate
plants eat nitrate.. but you need way more plants than fish to make a dent so this is where waterchanges come into play
:iagree:

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
Hey Chest, thanks for the reply but I don't fully understand what you're saying based on my question... I'm not looking for a lazy mans way of maintaining a fish tank..... I'm dedicated to cleaning it weekly, and making sure the fish are fed properly. What I'm wondering is, based on my weekly cleaning and care for my fish:

1. Would a UV light do the same job that a pleco does, and then some? I don't like the poop produced by the pleco, and it's an added bonus if a UV light destroys bacteria, etc. in the tank.

2. Would I still have to worry about algae growing in the tank? I assume you're saying algae will grow on the glass, plants, etc. So basically, a pleco is necessary for this? Or, will my glass magnet be sufficient to clean the glass every now and then?

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
welcome to fishkeeping....
the bacteria are a good thing.. you want those.. if it wasnt for them all your fish would die from ammonia..

algae grows in fishtanks.. its what it does.. other than dumping in massive amounts of chemicals theres no way around this.. you dont need a pleco (or other algae eater) to get rid of algae...
anyway.. im getting distracted by tv (blazing saddles)... a UV will not solve your algae issue.. it comes down to either cleaning the algae yourself.. or having a fish/snail/shrimp/ect clean it for you but then you have to clean up after the cleaner

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
also

chest = something girls have that guys look at or things you keep gold in

chet is short for chester...

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
Hmm so basically you're not really helping with whether or not a UV sterilizer would be helpful to prevent HARMFUL bacteria or not.... and also, I'm trying to reduce algae and you're telling me other tidbits that isn't really getting to a point. Sure, I can clean the tank every week, but I'm trying to find a solution to reduce the need to and keep the tanks water sparkling!!

If anyone else can chime in on this thread it'd be helpful. I appreciate the help though Chester.,

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
sorry.. im teaching and not answering..

a UV will not do what you want it to..
its either clean up after the pleco or scrub algae

harful bacteria in the tank are like germs in the air.. if your fish are healthy and your water is good.. its no big deal they are always there and theres no getting around that...

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
chesterthehero;2088449; said:
sorry.. im teaching and not answering..

a UV will not do what you want it to..
its either clean up after the pleco or scrub algae

harful bacteria in the tank are like germs in the air.. if your fish are healthy and your water is good.. its no big deal they are always there and theres no getting around that...
OK, simply put... is a UV Sterilizer more advantageous than having a Pleco?

1. I have read the UV's will kill the bacteria such as ich, and other "harmful" bacteria, and not the beneficial bacteria.
2. With a UV sterilizer, I understand that algae will not circulate in the water, but will grow on glass and other ornaments in the tank. Is this as simple as running the glass magnet over the algae?

If anyone else has a UV sterilizer that can give the pros/cons of it based on experience, that'd be nice! In the mean time, I'll be googling around for more info.

WalterMelon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Minnesota
Things a UV sterilizer will do:
Destroy waterborne bacteria
Destroy waterborne parasites
Destroy waterborne algae
Things a UV sterilizer will NOT do:
Destroy algae on glass
Destroy algae on your decorations
Destroy algae on substrate
Destroy bacteria in filter, substrate etc.
Reduce nitrates
Make you more attractive to the opposite sex
:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:

Ok you get the idea... A UV sterilizer only cleans the water that gets pumped through it. Not anything on the surfaces. It will prevent green water, and help prevent waterborne parasites and stuff like ich.

You can ditch the pleco if you want, but you'll have to clean the glass yourself... as for rocks driftwood in your tank... you can pull them out and dip them in a mild bleach solution and rinse them well, very well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store