Vent my umbee please

cichlids209

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Lakewood WA
As the title says can you gather if it’s a female or male looks wise it seems like a female to me . Stocky body vs slimline elongated almost no blue speckles on its face area black fins on bottom of body

IMG_7047.jpeg

IMG_7046.jpeg

IMG_7045.jpeg

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
How big is the fish? Can you post pics of the fish in its tank?

Rule of thumb for venting is oo = M, oO = F. Yours seems to be oo with a slightly triangulated vent. My "guess" would be male.

cichlids209

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Lakewood WA
How big is the fish? Can you post pics of the fish in its tank?

Rule of thumb for venting is oo = M, oO = F. Yours seems to be oo with a slightly triangulated vent. My "guess" would be male.
It’s about 5 inches it’s a wild caught it’s really hard to tell even in person here is a pic of the fish tonight it’s colors have changed from almost no speckles on tail fins and almost all white yellowish body to this IMG_7065.jpegIMG_7065.jpegIMG_7062.jpegIMG_7061.jpegIMG_7058.jpeg

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I really think it’s an adolescent male mate 👍🏼 Though I have never kept them, I know umbees get huge, perhaps their adult colors come in a little later. A guy I know in Perth Australia had a pair in an 8’ tank, the male was 15” and an absolute beast. His girl was less than half his size. Interesting pair!
Good luck as you grow him out!

Reactions: cichlids209

cichlids209

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Lakewood WA
I really think it’s an adolescent male mate 👍🏼 Though I have never kept them, I know umbees get huge, perhaps their adult colors come in a little later. A guy I know in Perth Australia had a pair in an 8’ tank, the male was 15” and an absolute beast. His girl was less than half his size. Interesting pair!
Good luck as you grow him out!
These fish are the hardest I’ve ever encountered on sexing them. Yea before about 2 years ago I had a 19 inch male umbee miss that fish wish I never had to rehome it.

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
19”! That bloke musta been a tank. Got any pics of him?
What are you housing the growouts in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store