Water Quality: High pH in Crayfish tank

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am totally new to fish keeping and didn't even realize I had an issue until someone else pointed out that the hard water in my area (Las Vegas, NV) would cause high pH and KH that aren't good for fish keeping. It's looking like my pH is around 8, which I know is too high and am aiming to lower to a consistent 6.5-7.5; I have pH down currently and am planning on using that to control the high pH temporarily, is there some way I can somehow "buffer" the water long term?

I've been told adding some limestone would help, but I'm wondering if there are better ways of controlling this.

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 9.44.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-10 at 9.44.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 9.44.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 9.44.16 AM.png

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Don't worry about it. My neighbor has crawfish thy breed all day and our water is at least 8 on the ph scale.

You'll probably do more harm than good attempting to buffer AND keep the ph balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just curious why you think high pH is bad.
Many African rift lake species, and Central American fish come waters with pH much high than 8. The pH in lake Gatun Panama can run as high as 9+.
Certain soft water species from the Amazon might not like it much, but they are the exception, not the rule.
I live next to Lake Michigan, and use its water, pH 8.4, crawfish are abundant in the lake, if fact most crustaceans need a high calcium content to build their shells.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I agree with the posters above me. However, if you ever do want to lower PH and hardness, do not use limestone as it has the opposite effect.

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Just curious why you think high pH is bad.
Many African rift lake species, and Central American fish come waters with pH much high than 8. The pH in lake Gatun Panama can run as high as 9+.
Certain soft water species from the Amazon might not like it much, but they are the exception, not the rule.
I live next to Lake Michigan, and use its water, pH 8.4, crawfish are abundant in the lake, if fact most crustaceans need a high calcium content to build their shells.
In research papers I've read several times over that an ideal pH for the species is between 6.5-7.5.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm really glad I asked before I started messing with the water chemistry.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I wouldn't concern myself with it.

Most sites say the a lower ph is best for angels and yet I've breed Angels in my 8.something ph water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Go on my old youtube channel "Mihajlo525" and look for my old crayfish video if you want to know how to properly sex and breed crayfish ;D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store