What do Polar ParrotsX Black Convict hybrid look like?

CichlidMan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2024
I added a male blue polar parrot into my tank and did not expect him to hybridize with my regular female Convict. Now they have about 50+ free swimming fry. I was wondering what will their babies look like when they become adults? Does anyone have pictures?

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
Your polar already contains convict DNA as they’re used in the cross. I would guess fairly similar but with a more elongated body from the convict instead of the short body of a parrot.

Reactions: AR1

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Polar Blues are not hybrids…they don’t have convict genes. They are just short body Honduran red points.

Please don’t sell the fry as Polar blues even if some are short body

Reactions: AR1 and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Like mentioned, polar parrots are just shortbody convict cichlids. You can expect the fry to be a mix of regular convicts and short bodied ones.

Reactions: AR1

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
Polar Blues are not hybrids…they don’t have convict genes. They are just short body Honduran red points.

Please don’t sell the fry as Polar blues even if some are short body
The OP has blue parrot polar blues which to my understanding the original cross from a standard parrot and a convict. I can see HRP’s to bring in blue but the hybrid parrot is still the original fish.

Last edited:

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The OP has blue parrot polar blues which to my understanding the original cross from a standard parrot and a convict. I can see HRP’s to bring in blue but the hybrid parrot is still the original fish.
Most websites seem to echo what you’re saying…that they were created as a hybrid of female blood parrots and male convicts.

My understanding is that they are actually pure shortbody Honduran Red Points hence their color and fecundity. However, we can agree to disagree.

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
Most websites seem to echo what you’re saying…that they were created as a hybrid of female blood parrots and male convicts.

My understanding is that they are actually pure shortbody Honduran Red Points hence their color and fecundity. However, we can agree to disagree.
I personally despise hybrids so I have no dog in the fight. I’ve just never heard what you mentioned but only what I’ve read. If someone enjoys them that’s all that matters in the end.

Kevin@TUIC

Aimara
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member

HRP were eventually 'added' into the mix of an already multi species hybrid to give them the blue coloring. Whether or not the HRP used initially were pure or not would be tough to tell. There were very few people to obtain pure strain hrp from and new pure blood has not been reintroduced to the hobby in probably 20 yrs or so. With bllod parrots being purely hybrids, along with most all convicts in the trade being hybrids with other convict-types, and most hrp in the trade also being hybrids I think the point of mixing anythign else would be mute at this point.

Reactions: RD.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
HRP were eventually 'added' into the mix of an already multi species hybrid to give them the blue coloring. Whether or not the HRP used initially were pure or not would be tough to tell. There were very few people to obtain pure strain hrp from and new pure blood has not been reintroduced to the hobby in probably 20 yrs or so. With bllod parrots being purely hybrids, along with most all convicts in the trade being hybrids with other convict-types, and most hrp in the trade also being hybrids I think the point of mixing anythign else would be mute at this point.
Thanks for clearing that up Kevin. I understand you’re saying all parrot, hrp, and convicts are genetically hybrids nowadays as pure versions of these are incredibly sparse or nonexistent.

Are you also saying that polar blues are indeed convict x blood parrot with hrp added for color? I was told by a large importer that polars are short body HRP but he could be misinformed.

By the way, I’ve no dog in this fight either Hukit. Just trying to help the OP figure out what to do with his fry…apparently, since they’re all hybrids, should be fun to see how they turn out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store