What fish in a ph of 7.6?

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I know that this is a commonly asked question but I have a ph of 7.6 and am not so sure about tetras (which I really want to add). I tried both wild and tank raised cardinal tetras in my 20 gal long, full cycled, no ammonia or nitrite, and around 20 nitrate. They all died within a week both times. My assumption is that the ph is not suitable for such a docile fish. Would other tetras like ember or rummy nose tetras adjust better? Or would I have to go get myself some harlequin rasboras, although I find their coloration not as pleasing. My current stocking is 6 panda Cory’s, 4 Otos, and a South American puffer who isn’t aggressive. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know that this is a commonly asked question but I have a ph of 7.6 and am not so sure about tetras (which I really want to add). I tried both wild and tank raised cardinal tetras in my 20 gal long, full cycled, no ammonia or nitrite, and around 20 nitrate. They all died within a week both times. My assumption is that the ph is not suitable for such a docile fish. Would other tetras like ember or rummy nose tetras adjust better? Or would I have to go get myself some harlequin rasboras, although I find their coloration not as pleasing. My current stocking is 6 panda Cory’s, 4 Otos, and a South American puffer who isn’t aggressive. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

In most cases I would suggest fish thàt are known to come from waters of that ph range. I've noticed that every time I visit 1 of the lfs in my area tetra like rummy nose are always thriving in our ph which is around 7.6 or a bit higher.
Personally I would give them a shot.

Reactions: Davidiator

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
This is a bit of a trick question in my opinion

(Not an expert but ...)

A lot of commercially raised fish are not breed in PH environments that replicate their natural habitats but more about what PH is in the local water supply
If you go to your LFS I very much doubt they are attempting to keep differing breeds at differing PH levels

So I would ask your LFS what PH they have their tanks at, or their supplier

If you are buying from a local (home) breeder I think there is a good chance they are conditioning their tanks to correct PH levels (once again ask the breeder what PH his tank is at )

The fishes DNA may require a specific PH for long term health but I believe consistent PH (with natural additives like wood etc) is far better than adjusting PH with chemicals

I suspect your two attempts with cardinal tetra's deaths may have been another issue than PH as cardinals are a reasonably hardy tetra

To be honest i do not touch my PH in any of my tanks to avoid any fluctuations when completing water changes , my PH is what my PH is

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Cardinals, even most tetras should be fine in 7.6. If they died within a week you probably did a poor job of acclimating them and the shock killed them. Try acclimating them over a few hours rather than just floating them for a few minutes and dumping.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My answer would be to turn the question around, what fish aren't going to live in a pH of 7.6, because there are so many that will. Those that wouldn't would be any wild or sensitive, black water Amazonian fish that normally inhabit soft, acidic, with low conductivity, pH waters that range 4-6.
What will live in pH 7.6 are all the tetras from Central America, and those in South America from west of the Andes, or are from the rivers in southern South America (southern Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina) where the pH is 7 or above. The yeses include hundreds of species from lemon tetras, to Buenos Aires teras dozens of Astyanax species.

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
As far as acclimation, I did a drip acclimation for 2 or so hours at a 4-5 drop per second.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many species from low pH, non-tannin infused waters will "exist", but in many cases the ones that do for any length of time (like long lived, large cichlids such as oscars and severums), end up with hole in the head scars, from chronic bacterial infections. Smaller species that have abbreviated life spans, often won't adjust even with long drips, they just live more abbreviated lives than normal.
It may not only be the pH, and lack of tannin, but it may be some mineral species, endemic to your area that just isn't compatible with the make up of Amazonian fish, and is a component not economically reasonable to test for.
I believe "if" you really want cardinals in your areas water, you will need to invest in an RO system, mix your tap water with water from that system (that removes the dangerous mystery mineral), or buy DI water, and you will need to spike it with tannin infused water .

Reactions: Rocksor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store