What glass is suitable?

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
I am in the process of renovating my basement to take a 7ft tank.
I have been calling around different glass shop enquiring about quotes for the glass i need:

What type of glass does it have to be?
(plate glass... etc...)

heres the dimensions that I want to build:
20mm glass
Three sheets of: 2000mm X 900mm (front, bottom, back)
Two sheets of: 900mm X 900mm (sides)
Four Strips: 1960mm X 100mm (bracing for top and bottom)
Two Strips: 660mm X 100mm (side bracing for bottom)

Is there anything that i should look out for or perhaps have missed.
does glass have a safety rating for aquarium use and should i look out for this in the quote I get back from the supplier?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Tempered is safety glass (what it's called here) is used for most large tanks, but can't be drilled under normal circumstances and has to be pre-ordered with holes in place.

You didn't say how tall it's going to be so we don't know if what you are getting is thick enough.

Dr Joe

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
Hey Joe,

The glass manufacturers that I contacted make "plate glass" up to 250mm.
I am not sure that this is the same stuff but did mention it was for an aquarium.

The height is 900mm (90cm)

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
I've also seen laminated glass used in large tanks (like what's used on car windscreens), safer even than tampered glass.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
I spoke to a glass manufacturer who does laminated glass and they told me that the strength of 20mm laminated glass would only be 10mm (as much as one of the sides of glass)

Basically he was not sure that it would be suitable for aquarium useage.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
Well the thing is that I am not sure on how thick I need to go...
Was just quoted £1830 for 20mm glass in that dimension for the tank which is way excessive!

I have seen other websites offering tanks of that dimension for £500... but they are using 12mm glass. also for 24"" high they use 10mm glass!!

Is 12mm too thin for a tank of this size? am i being mad using 20mm?
what thickness would you reccomend?

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
30" tall is realy tall, i would honestly go with 3/4"glass, plate of float glass, not tempered, its said to be twice as strong and resits flexing a lot more then regulat glass but it it flexes at all it shatters, there is no wiggle room with it, and if you get a rock that slips on regulat glass it chips(if your lucky) but there is no getting luckey with tempered... laminated is a waste of time because it you have two sheets laminated todether then the tank is only as strong as eithere sheet., this would only be a good idea if you have a tank in a daycare center...

20mm is not to thick, most larger 20"tall(50cm) tanks are made of 1/2" glass, and the higher you go the thicker you generaly should go too. there are exeptions to this of corse where manufactures brace the tanks better and make them with thinner glass.

for a tanks 30"tall, 13/14mm would be the minimum you could safely go and still feel a bit safe., the problem is that your wide too and all that water has a tendancy to put at the top of the glass requireing braces.

like i have a 24"corner tank and a 24" 120 and they are bolth not even made with .5"glass, its a bit less they are like 12mm, but also less then half of your tank combined, you have to ask yourself if you want to make it with the bare minimum or piece of mind knowing that it wont break if a fish charges the glass?

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I have to go along with the 3/4" group. adding layers as in auto glass makes the windshield safer....NOT stronger. Plate glass is definatly more forgiving. Are you talking about using one piece as a window in a built it tank here or building an entire tank out of it? Fiberglass sealed wood is much less expencive for the bottom along with any wall bound sides.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
well hell if your going the plywood tank rout then you can go with 1/2 and you will be ok, it supported on all sides and that makes it diffrent then makeing the tank out of nothing but glass, , i cant remember who but someone used a BEVELED 1/2" thick piece of dining room table glass that ge got for like $100, in a 1000 gallon plywood...regaurdless i would still go with a 3/4

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store