Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hao Hao

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I keep hearing horror stories about lungfish but can it be kept with my stock?
Looks like a WAL to me… west african lung.. and id say no… ull b fine until it gets larger. Some people have success keeping them in “community” style tanks. I also have for years at a time even… every one i had bit fish in half or cookie cuttered them tho. They dont like other bottom dwellers. Ive had em snatch up mid and top dwellers as well.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Looks like a WAL to me… west african lung.. and id say no… ull b fine until it gets larger. Some people have success keeping them in “community” style tanks. I also have for years at a time even… every one i had bit fish in half or cookie cuttered them tho. They dont like other bottom dwellers. Ive had em snatch up mid and top dwellers as well.
Sounds good It wasn't in my plans to get this fish but somebody who was moving was desperate to get rid of it so I took it on and I'll go ahead and keep it for the short term. Thanks!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Photos are a bit blurry but it looks like an atheiopicus (marbled lungfish) to me. But yes like wednesday13 wednesday13 said, it's a hit or miss. Better safe to keep them alone in my opinion.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sounds good It wasn't in my plans to get this fish but somebody who was moving was desperate to get rid of it so I took it on and I'll go ahead and keep it for the short term. Thanks!
U may grow to enjoy it… some are very active. They are also great sand sifters/substrate cleaners. Hope it works out for u long term. One of my favorite fish to keep.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Photos are a bit blurry but it looks like an atheiopicus (marbled lungfish) to me. But yes like wednesday13 wednesday13 said, it's a hit or miss. Better safe to keep them alone in my opinion.
I'll try to get some better photos tomorrow. I'm hoping I can keep it for a little while before it gets too large and causes issues

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store