What size tank?

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
What size tank would it take to house a JD, Salvini, some kind of Pike Cichlid, and a Redtailed black shark (or possibly a Rainbow shark)? If this is even possible considering temperments and all... I was thinking a 125 but I really don't have a clue!

Thanks
Mike

REC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Seattle Area
I would say keep the pike and shark out, my salvini male was an absolute terror. They reach adulthood at only 5" and have some nasty teeth. My old one damn near ripped the lips off a GT. Jack Dempseys grow extremly slow so i'd wait until your JD gets a little size on him before i added a salvini. Also a 75 gallon would be more then enough for what you wan't....

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Sorry man, ya didn't put it in the pike forum so I didn't really see it. There are several options for you. The red tail shark/rainbow is out either way. Don't grow fast enough or get large enough for any of those fish. Bala shark, chinese algae eater, or some type of catfish would work better. My motto is if you have the space and the money, go more than adequate. In other words, get a larger tank. 125 would be plenty of room, plus it would give you room to get more fish. There are so many diff. set ups you could have for that tank. Is the JD a must? Or the salvini? I've mixed pikes with A LOT of different types of cichlids, from jags to red terrors, to geophagus and severums. Point in case, don't worry about the pike, it will be able to fend for itself. What you gotta worry about is what the PIKE will pick on. They are picky sometimes about their tankmates, pretty much they decide who their tank mates are. SOOOO having said that, you should add the pike LAST! Crenicichla sp. 'xingu I' and Crenicichla cincta are two of the more aggressive pikes, so if you want an aggressive tank, go with those pikes. Crenicichla acustirostris and Crenicichla vittata are more laid back, so if you want a more passive tank...go with those. Those are just a few examples though...;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store