What to feed new Mouth Almighty and Datnoid, and Knifefish ID?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Got a new Mouth Almighty Cardinalfish and a Datnoid at my LFS a couple days ago; having trouble feeding both of them. Tried frozen blackworms, live crickets, frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp (both also frozen), and small chunks of frozen silverside. The Mouth Almighty seems interested in anything that moves, but quickly loses interest, and the Datnoid kept picking at krill chunks but ignored everything else. Both are in decent condition; the Mouth Almighty has apparently been at the LFS for quite some time and has supposedly eaten pellets, and the datnoid was a new arrival but seemed healthy and alert (albeit rather skinny). Tank is a 75 growout with a 8in Senegal Bichir, 8in P. blochii, two EBAs, and two cories of some sort. Water parameters are as follows: Nitrates: ~20, Nitrites: 0, Ammonia: 0, pH: 6.9, GH: 4, KH: ~5, and the water temperature is at ~75. Going to see if I can procure some ghost shrimp tomorrow to feed them. Any other suggestions on what to feed them? I'll attach an image of the dat and the mouth almighty below.
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 3.49.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 3.49.49 PM.png
As for the fish ID request, I bought a mislabeled knifefish (supposedly a Banded Knifefish; Steatogenys elegans) that I have previously not ever kept; my best guess on the species is some sort of Hypopomidae; maybe Brachyhypopomus. Unfortunately, the fish is currently hiding under a large piece of driftwood and I am unable to get a good picture, although I can post an image from the LFS's shipment posts. Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 3.49.03 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
That thinbar dat is live caught out of the Mekhong river or tributary. He only knows what live food is, and you will have a hard time feeding him anything else.

Do you have a supply of ghost shrimp?
How do you know its out of the mekong river/ tribuary? Are all datnoids wild caught?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on the dat species and on the difficulty in training it to eat non live foods,thinbar dats are notoriously stubborn in that regard....as for the other fish,is that what it is called,mouth almighty?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
How do you know its out of the mekong river/ tribuary? Are all datnoids wild caught?
That is where they come from, I have seen them caught there. Locally they are known as Khong Tiger Fish and they are still reasonably plentiful.

You may hear a few stories about people breeding tiger fish, but I have never seen it. If it was practical, the ST would not have gone extinct.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Mouth almighty are awesome! If you don’t mind saying, how much was it?

With Mouth almighty, you want to provide lots of floating cover/cover towards the top of the tank, then dangle a chunk of prawn or fish straight in front of the mouth.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Agreed on the dat species and on the difficulty in training it to eat non live foods,thinbar dats are notoriously stubborn in that regard....as for the other fish,is that what it is called,mouth almighty?
Mouth almighty are hands down one of the best fish ever. They are like mini barramundi/nile perch and are full of character. Will take basically any live fish.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mouth almighty are hands down one of the best fish ever. They are like mini barramundi/nile perch and are full of character. Will take basically any live fish.
I have never heard of them before.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Broadly Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16 , you have got two great fish that can go well together. And both have to be live fed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store