whats smallest size loach i can put with my oscar?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
my title says it all i got a 7” yoyo loach at my store a week ago currently he is the only loach in my tank and tries to shoal with my pleco oscar and geophagus and id like to add some more yoyo loaches. the rest of the yoyo loaches are 2.5-3” and my oscar is probably 41/2” i know hell grow faster and if he tries to eat the loach itd get lodged in his mouth. so what is the smallest loach i could safely get? i could also get a bigger clown but the yoyo wouldnt benefit as much. the oscar has also left alone a 1” green terror so far. theres also a pile of rocks so the yoyo loaches have plenty of hiding spots.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
my title says it all i got a 7” yoyo loach at my store a week ago currently he is the only loach in my tank and tries to shoal with my pleco oscar and geophagus and id like to add some more yoyo loaches. the rest of the yoyo loaches are 2.5-3” and my oscar is probably 41/2” i know hell grow faster and if he tries to eat the loach itd get lodged in his mouth. so what is the smallest loach i could safely get? i could also get a bigger clown but the yoyo wouldnt benefit as much. the oscar has also left alone a 1” green terror so far. theres also a pile of rocks so the yoyo loaches have plenty of hiding spots.
If you have separate tank I would grow out the smaller Clown Loach's ( They should grow fast). Then, once they have grown to a good 4-5 inches precede to put them in with the Oscars. This is just being on the safe side as the way the Oscar treats smaller fish will vary based on his own liking, of each individual fish. I personally wouldn't have a smaller fish in with the Oscar, and their live is based on his ''liking'' of them.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'd be very wary of putting smallish clown loach with an oscar, even a small oscar like yours. For one, your oscar will be 12" before your clowns have put an inch on. And two, when your oscar does then start to look at its little tankmates as potential dinner, it'll have a go and probably choke to death when the clowns raise their subocular spines.

End result, dead oscar, dead clown loach.

If I was to put any fish with an oscar i'd make sure they weren't expensive and that they didn't have any defence mechanisms that could spell disaster for my oscar.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you have separate tank I would grow out the smaller Clown Loach's ( They should grow fast)
I’m afraid I must disagree with you on clown loaches growing fast. I purchased 4/5 3” clown loaches in 2018 and just now they’re about 4” or so, maybe a bit more. There’s no way they would be able to keep up with the growth rate of an Oscar.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
I’m afraid I must disagree with you on clown loaches growing fast. I purchased 4/5 3” clown loaches in 2018 and just now they’re about 4” or so, maybe a bit more. There’s no way they would be able to keep up with the growth rate of an Oscar.
The Clown Loaches i've witnessed at that size have had growth spurts. So, once they hit that growth spurt before growth slows they should reach that 4 1/2 to 5 inch mark of them being able to have a chance at being in the same tank as an Oscar. But yes, they still won't compete with Oscars growth.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
When I read this thread warning choking hazard immediately came to mind. I personally never would combine those 2 species together.
yes the choking is why i asked the question and why i was so pleased to have found a giant yoyo loach that the oscar could not eat i was able to find another yoyo loach that is about 5” and i have never seen fish go more insane together ig well see how it goes?‍♀

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
yes the choking is why i asked the question and why i was so pleased to have found a giant yoyo loach that the oscar could not eat i was able to find another yoyo loach that is about 5” and i have never seen fish go more insane together ig well see how it goes?‍♀
Heads up, the Oscar will outgrow it rather quickly and be able to eat it as I’m sure you’re aware, hopefully you have a plan for the loach once the Oscar outgrows it.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store