What's the most foul tempered fish you've ever had?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
For me, two are the ultimate top of the chain: My beloved pink parrot Patch, and hrp Mongo. Aggression born out of hades itself. Patch was deceptive, calm and playful until you got in her space. And smart asf. Did all kinds of unique things for amusement.

Patch bit and tore nets, attacked hoses, rammed her glass hood, jumped out of buckets, and banged around in her container the whole trip to the vet. She beat up everybody including a young Brick (oscar). Tore open the face of BP Kong and had her in a corner. Harrassed a much larger BP Tango in a bucket and ran him in circles. A mouthful of teeth that stayed busy.

Hrp Mongo is a nut. Screwy and combative, he needs no reason. Just fighting and harassing for fcs sake: chasing fish randomly, ramming anyone that gets too close. Retaliation by his family has had no effect. He retreats, heals up then goes right back to attacking again.

The next tier (9 out of 10) is BP Kong who goes psycho if you enter her space. Similar aggression as the first 2. She's a biter. Has one long 'pokey' tooth. Also in this tier are female hrps Speck, Harlequin, and Reeva. Mini nutbars that love divebomb fighting and flare at everybody.

I'll be doing a graphic on this soon.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Aquarium fish? Nothing to report on that front really, except an Oscar I once had that thought it was Mike Tyson!

But I once caught a small pike, 16" or so, which thought it was a good idea to shred my fingers.

I wasn't planning on eating that fish.....until it punked out on me! Hmmmm!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Black Shark, I'd have to second that. Had a big, mean l Maylandia lombardoi that was "in jail" in a 40 gal. tank. I knew my 8" Black Shark was tough, so I put it with the lombardoi that evening to teach it a lesson. The Lombardoi was literally a piece of meat the next morning. BS was relentless.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Wild Andinoacara rivulatus. From 2.5-3 inches on they wanted to fight everything, including each other. Couldn't keep them with anything else, including some (much larger) psycho-aggressive African cichlids I had at the time. So I traded them off one by one.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have a bala that’s been terrorizing the silver dollars in a tank, I never really knew they were capable of aggression.
The meanest, however, goes to my banded leporinus. Still the only fish I’ve come across that seemingly kills for sport. Anything near his size (or shape) is an immediate target to be destroyed. The only two fish that have ever really stood up to it are a female convict and a red bellied piranha (back when I thought piranhas would go well with tankmates). Even the Jack Dempsey he’s with will only stalemate him at best. All in all the banded leporinus is the most unpleasant fish I’ve ever kept, but makes up for it with how beautiful he is.
IMG_0881.jpeg
Honorable mention goes to my female mocha Occelaris clownfish. She went through plenty of fish, including her first mate, before moving to solitary confinement (along with her current mate). She will even attack and destroy corals placed too close to her anemone.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’ve never had anything aggressive but this one flagfish was a mean little thing which I promptly sent back to the store.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
For me, a pair of beautiful large deep water haps. Stunners to say the least but they did kill some fish sadly. Oddly enough, they were not inherently aggressive fish.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store