Which bass is best?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Loaded question- hang on 😂

Finally getting my monster set ups back online after a rather stressful move. What better way to celebrate than new fish?

I have had peacock bass in the past but do not have any currently and it has been a few years since I have had them. That being said, a lot of the larger bass in the hobby now look like drab hybrids, and a drab bass is not one I am particularly interested in keeping. I like the Orinoco, fogo, pinima and xingus.

I am after clean patterns and colors -(Do not want hybrid bass) so my questions are as follows:

Are WC typically better than CB for color/pattern?

Are certain species more likely to be more colorful more of the time? (Example bass A has great green and red coloring, but only when breeding, and Bass B has "good" coloring, but stays that way all the time)

Lastly, I am based in the US. Who is a reputable supplier for the more uncommon varieties of bass that can meet my criteria above? I have *heard* that predatory fins has had a reputation of misidentified bass or bringing in hybrids that have been sold as pure. I am not sure if this is the case or still applies to today, but is a situation I am keen to avoid.

These fish are going into a display tank with my rays, so it's important to me to have the same type of quality in my bass that I have with my rays.

Any pointers are appreciated!!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
I know wlexactly what you mean. To many hybrids on the market and being sold as something rlse etc. This is why i have set out to breed different species of cichla. But theres no such thing as the best cichla. If its going into your main tank i would start thinking about what coloration of cichla would look best in your tank. I usually get a group 4-6 and keep the best ones out the group etc.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Bump. Someone has to have some idea! Anything @
I know wlexactly what you mean. To many hybrids on the market and being sold as something rlse etc. This is why i have set out to breed different species of cichla. But theres no such thing as the best cichla. If its going into your main tank i would start thinking about what coloration of cichla would look best in your tank. I usually get a group 4-6 and keep the best ones out the group etc.
I really like the following:

Temensis, Azul, Orinoco and xingu as well as certain catch points of a handful of other varieties. Do you have a recommendation on a quality supplier that has worked for you?

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
as of now i am only buying 5"+ so i can have a positive id on the fish unless i can be certain they are 100% pure strain. Right now theres issues with almost all sellers getting hybrids and/or don't know how to ID. I did recently order some smaller azuls on ebay and they are looking nice. I think hes also selling other bass as well. But at the moment smaller bass idk who to go to.

Bump. Someone has to have some idea! Anything @

I really like the following:

Temensis, Azul, Orinoco and xingu as well as certain catch points of a handful of other varieties. Do you have a recommendation on a quality supplier that has worked for you?

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
was just watching predatory fins on IG. They have azuls,xingus,intermedias and fogos oh and pinimas. From the video the ID is correct.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
was just watching predatory fins on IG. They have azuls,xingus,intermedias and fogos oh and pinimas. From the video the ID is correct.
I may try a group of the xingu. Fogo are too rich for my blood at the moment, as I want to make sure I'll be a good bass keeper lol. My motoro female ate the last bass I had.

Now that she is in a pool by her big fat self, I want bass again 😂.

Does WC vs cb matter as much on any of the sp PF has?

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
i personally don't pay attention to wc or cb. along as the fish looks good.

I may try a group of the xingu. Fogo are too rich for my blood at the moment, as I want to make sure I'll be a good bass keeper lol. My motoro female ate the last bass I had.

Now that she is in a pool by her big fat self, I want bass again 😂.

Does WC vs cb matter as much on any of the sp PF has?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store